Long Drive

I'm going to be taking my 86 944 on a 250-300 mile trip up to my second home. How do these cars do on a 5 hour drive and what kinds of things should I check over before I set off? Thanks.

Reply to
Clark W.

Sorry, it's a 85.5 and not a 86.

Reply to
Clark W.

"Clark W." wrote

250-300 miles is *not* a long drive - probably won't even go through a tank of gas. Just check your tire pressure and fluid levels and go.

Floyd

Reply to
fbloogyudsr

it is going to take you 5 hours to do 250-300 miles ????, that is usually about a 3.5-4 hour run for me...

did 3200 miles in four days last feb, ran fine, checked fluids every other tank of gas, check pressures in the morning befroe starting out while the tires are cool, and enjoy the drive.

Doug

"Clark W." wrote:

Reply to
D Corley

i agree with the other replies. check your tires and fluids and enjoy the drive. these cars are engineered well. you shouldn't need to fuel up during your trip, either.

jesse gietzen '87 944s

Reply to
Jesster

As others have already said, it's not that long of a drive. :)

Two, the seats are great on a long trip. My 951 eats pavement far better than any other car I have ever owned.

things should

Reply to
Morgan Bullard

Yeah because of my 21 gal fuel tank! When I read that in the owners manual I had to look about 3 times, if I get 30mpg my range should be 600-700 miles? Crazy.

Reply to
Clark W.

Reply to
william_b_noble

Just check the ordinary stuff you'd do for any car. Make sure all wearable stuff like belts and hoses are in decent condition. Check tire pressure, pack your sandwich and go :)

Reply to
PL944T

I did 4 x 700 miles last month . With an average of 66 mph. I only needed a .5 litre of oil each turn. I was driving whole the way to germany, no speed limit :). And partly through Czech Republic, 150 miles no highways but nasty little roads.

I don;t know what the condition of your 944 is but a well maintained one should not have any problems with 300 miles.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Sure

i've never gotten that high fuel economy. mine has averaged 25 mpg @ 70-80 mph and has never gotten anything better than that... an average tank [18 gal until the fuel light comes on] gets me ~400 miles with mixed driving.

jesse gietzen '87 944s

Reply to
Jesster

I did a 2500-mi trip in my 87 last year. It was great - these cars are very comfortable on long trips.

Reply to
Stuart Olsen

I agree with all the others.

I purchased my 944 during a " moment of weakness " at christmass one year in Toronto, and drove it home during a snow storm. Unless your 944 has some major problems , these cars are " Bulletproof " , unless something has really screwwed it up, it is a very reliable ride.

watch out for the state police , they like Porches too......!!!!!

Morgan Bullard wrote:

Reply to
rehoppe