How to clean block's coolant passages while head is off

My head is off and at the machine shop getting milled. There were about 4 block-to-head passages blocked off completely w/ a hard rust. The rust was attatched to the gasket though and once the gasket was off, the passages were not blocked. Since there were these deposits there, would there likely be others elsewhere. What would be the best way to clean them while the head is off?

Thanks, Jerritt

P.S.: Does anyone know where I can get a replacement clock(the analog one in the inst. cluster). I traced it to the unknown IC but don't know where I could get one. If I can't get the clock to work, I just might have to junk the whole car. And there are NO A1 jettas at any JY around here.

84' VW Jetta GL
Reply to
Mr J

|My head is off and at the machine shop getting milled. There were |about 4 block-to-head passages blocked off completely w/ a hard rust. |The rust was attatched to the gasket though and once the gasket was |off, the passages were not blocked. Since there were these deposits |there, would there likely be others elsewhere. What would be the best |way to clean them while the head is off?

There is no good way without the head. I'd leave it alone, since anything you dislodge will fall into the bottom and later be washed into the radiator tubes.

Once it's back together, get a reverse-flush tee kit, install it in the correct heater hose (not the one that connects near the water pump).

Get some of the 2-part flush, usually a powder.

Then hook up the hose per the kit directions flush out all the old with clean water. add the first chemical, run the engine per the directions. flush clean

2nd chemical ditto flush clean drain 50-50 G-05 antifreeze.

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B