How to change coolant?

Hi, I have a Toyota Collora 98. This is the first time change coolant for it. According to the specification, it needs 5.7 liter coolant.

Following was my procedure for change the coolant:

Open a valve located at lower left side (passenger side)of the radiator, drain the old coolant until nothing came out from the valve, close the valve, add clean tap water, start the engine for 5 minutes, drain the water until nothing came out from the valve, repeat 2 times, the drained water is clear, then close the valve, add new coolant.

It seems alright, the engine running no problem, everything is normal, but what strange is I only added 3 liter of coolant, not 5.7 litter.

What's wrong? Do I need ask technician change coolant again?

Thanks!

Min

Reply to
Min

Have you actually been out on the road for a drive yet Min .. it may be that there is an airlock somewhere and it will probably blow through when the engine get's hot and / or some decent revs?

Run it round the block for 10 mins but keep an eye on the temp gauge and take some water with you (but don't touch it when it's hot).

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Thank you Tim! I've driven the Collora for 3 days including high way since changing of coolant, nothing wrong. The coolant level is always high, no room for any more. But I only added about 3 litter instead of 5.7 litter. I called a technician, he seemed rather busy and just told me, "your guys don't know there is an inner coolant cycle, you don't know how to change that yourself." Is it true? I think it may be true, as I heard that in order to warm up faster, many new engine have an inner coolant cycle, which only opens when temperature is high enough. I drain the coolant and water all at low temperature, it could be the inner cycle had not opened yet. But I don't think technician drain the old coolant when it's hot, there may be other valve for the inner cycle. Do you know that in detail? Thanks! Min

"T i m" ???? news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Min

You sometimes cannot get all the coolant out of the engine as some will be left behind, either behind the stat, at a low point in the block or whatever. That could be the reason, although I think that 2.7 missing litres is a little much. Did you drain the system with the interior heater set to hot? That can sometimes have an effect in draining the cabin heater matrix.

Reply to
Chris Street

Thanks for reply! Do you know how to set interior heater to hot? Apparently, almost half of the coolant were not changed, does this mean the change coolant failed? Should I do it again?

"Chris Street" ???? news: snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net...

Reply to
Min

Advice I would give , especially with modern engines, is to measure what comes out of the car. Assuming that the levels were ok to start with, then by replacing old with new you are at least providing some protection. Worst scenario is to underfill and overheat the engine, problems with head gaskets etc. Some cars have a heater matrix higher than the red fill point and you do get an airlock.

Trouble is that it may take some time for you to realise that you have a problem. Big mistake!

Measure coolant out, then measure coolant in. If there is an imbalance then recognise you have some sort of problem.

Reply to
sid

This is good advice assuming you can catch all the coolant coming out. The drain plug on mine for example is directly above the front crossmember with the result it goes everywhere!

Also if you flush out fully with water, work out how much concentrate you would add in for a full fill, add that then top up with water to full otherwise you have understrength antifreeze if you cannot do a full fill

Reply to
Chris Street

See that dial on the dash, the one that controls the air temperature.

Yes, that one, the one that starts off blue and fades into red.

Good, you've identified it.

Twist it / slide it to the red end.

Reply to
SteveH