How to replace Rabbit vent window?

Hi

I have a 1984 GTI Rabbit and someone just smashed my vent window , and stole my stereo.

The vent window is the type that is fixed, stationary. It does not swivel open on a hinge.

Have any of you replaced this type of window?

If someone could out line the steps, my Bentley, Chilton's and Haynes does not show the procedure, that would be great.

Thanks James

Reply to
James Murphy

I had an 85 and the vent window did open. I had to replace it once. If yours is the same, all you will need do is to remove the panel on the inside of the door and take a good look at the setup. I don't remember the details but it was straight forward.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I've messed with the windows in an 82 convertible and my old trusty 78 rabbit but it's been a long time. You will have to remove the front window channel (which of course runs along the rear edge of the vent window) in order to remove/replace the vent window.

First remove the door panel. Peel the hub of the plastic window crank up and remove the screw from the metal handle. Now remove the screws inside the arm rest. Now pop the inner (concave) lining out of the inner door handle and remove the screw there. Get a screwdriver or knife between the door panel and door and start popping it loose. Carefully peel up the plastic moisture barrier and disconnect the windup window glass. You may be able to leave it in the door or you may have to remove the glass. Next, remove the screw that attaches the lower part of the front window channel. Finally, there is a hidden fastener somewhere around the top of the channel buried in the channel or rubber gasket. It might be a Allen screw. Remove it and the channel and slide the vent window assembly backwards to remove. This is all from memory so be careful. Be careful not to strip the arm rest screws when replacing.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin

I've replaced Jetta II & Scirocco I vent windows and never had to remove the door card.

- Pull the window's channel and expose a screw, remove screw.

- Lean vertical support towards the back and remove old window/seal.

- Lube up new window/seal combo (or transfer old seal to new window and lube) and slide into position.

ez-peeseey.

(Not really), it's laborious but full of accomplishment once done.

TBerk