more retrofit a/c questions

So its time I convert to r134a right? So the story goes I installed the PAG oil and went to change the fittings on my rusty but still very functional 1986 A2 golf . Equipped with its factory a/c system I found both the low side and high side lines have the same size fittings???? This can't be right can it? That would make it impossible to recharge the system with 2 low side fitting conversions. One fitting is located on passenger side right behind right front strut tower at the firewall and the other fitting is located on driver side upper rad next to the pressure switches. They both have low side line valves that I can't seem to hook up to the r134a machine. That said, was there supposed to be a different fitting somewhere else that perhaps was bypassed over the years? I don't own a Bently for this one and can't seem to find any diagrams in my online searches thus far. In short after work I hooked up the machine via the low side fitting only and of course it didn't take the charge. Am I missing something? Or is it off to the not so local boneyard to find another highside line? Any offerings would be appreciated

Thanks Tristen

86 Golf (pepi) 88 Westfalia (bogart)
Reply to
Tristen S

With the R134a conversion you are supposed to permanently mount adapters to the fittings. By regulation the fittings for different refrigerants can not be compatible. So, unless you have the adapters, the machine for R134a would not fit.

I recharged my R12 equipped '87 GTi a few years ago (with R-12) and c>

Reply to
Randolph

Yes I think most VWs had the same size low and high a/c fittings for the R-12 system. The one above the radiator fan should be the high side.

You will/should need R-134A adapters for at least the low side fitting to install some R-134A in your system. WalMart, PepBoys and others will have adapters or conversion kits so you can change your system over to the newer R-134A refrig.

later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Your original R12 fittings are indeed the same size. Most older cars that used r12 were that way. There're fittings that will do what needs to be done, just look around.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Kinda sux, don't it as them kits are geared more towards the American cars. What I would do if you can't find the hi-side port is just do it all through the low side. If you plan to run a vacuum on the system then let it run for a full hour and then do the recharge.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I did change out the the low side fitting but being the same size fittings to start with, its the female side of the the high side fitting that wont attach and the machine I used would not put a charge in. I got a total of .11kg of refridgerant in and thought I was getting somewhere then realized it was all sent to the highside hose on the machine. I will look into an autoparts store to find cans of this but if its not taking it with a proper machine than I can't see it taking it other ways either. I can do most things myself but I'm the only VW lover at the GM dealer I work for so the guys don't know too much about these cars.

Thanks in advance Tristen

86 VW golf (pepi) 88 VW westfalia (bogart)
Reply to
Tristen S

Reply to
Randolph

I have the old R-12 gauge set and purchased a R-134A gauge set at PepBoys. The middle hose of the R-134A will allow me to connect to the can adapter and use either of my gauge sets. So I can evacuate or charge with either gauge set and either fittings on the vehicles. I usually only leave the low side with the adapter on it if I use the R-134A gauges. You can probably find your hose fitting adapters at PepBoys for around $6 each. OUCH! Retrofit labels should go on too! ;-) If you were buying in bulk, I would suggest a place like

catalog here

dave

The process has gotten simple: you'll need to change the fitting(s), change the drier, vacuum down the system to remove any moisture or contaminants, add

134a oil, and then re-charge.

My 89 was converted before I bought it.

It appears as if all they did was change the lo-side fiting and add R134a. No sticker, no 134a fitting on hi -side, and drier is very dusty like it has not been touched in several years. I'm in FL and just this little bit of work has given me cold AC. Not super freezing but cold enough to stay very comfy.

Reply to
Simplstupd

WOOO HOOO I've achieved icey cold air!!!

Thanks to all of your responses it really helped. As it turns out our a/c machine at work was set to charge through the high side line only and not the low side. At the push of a button all was cured and it now works as of this morning.

now on to the next task... front struts and wheel bearings but thats a story for another time. ;-)

Thanks again

Tristen

86 vw golf

Reply to