no more trails say its not so

Off-roaders may be tied to trails Forest riders who go cross-country would be outlaws

Published July 08. 2004 7:30AM

BY BILL THOMPSON STAFF WRITER

OCALA - Federal foresters proposed a new regulation on Wednesday for off-highway vehicles in national forests and grasslands in an effort to cut down on habitat destruction caused by outlaw trail riders.

The proposed regulation will force 176 federal recreation areas around the country to identify individual systems of designated trails, roads and areas where motor vehicles will be allowed to travel.

The bottom line for off-highway vehicle enthusiasts is that "cross country travel won't be allowed once this rule becomes final," said Jack Troyer, regional forester for the U.S. Forest Service's Intermountain Region and leader of the agency team that developed the new rule.

Troyer and other officials who participated in a nationwide conference call announcing the rule on Wednesday acknowledged that the agency's attempt to establish something that now doesn't exist - a consistent policy regarding off-highway vehicles, or OHVs, that puts the Forest Service on the same page across the country - might create a ruckus in some areas where OHVs can travel cross-country unfettered.

But the announcement seems to hold little impact on Florida, home to three national forests, including the nearly 400,000-acre Ocala National Forest.

That's because OHV trail networks were already in the works for them. Roberta Moltzen, deputy regional forester for 13 states across the South, said agency staff in Florida will simply "keep on with what they've been doing" in defining those areas.

Denise Raines, Forest Service spokeswoman in Tallahassee, said environmental-impact guidelines, including for OHV use, have already been set for the Osceola National Forest near Lake City.

A similar document for the Ocala National Forest is expected to be completed next month, although it will cover only about half of the forest. The review of the rest of the forest should be finished next year.

The Forest Service has already banned some OHV activity in the Ocala National Forest. In January, a rule went into effect limiting unlicensed OHVs to daylight use only, defined as 90 minutes or less before sunrise and not later than 90 minutes after sunset.

Overall, the 155 national forests and 21 federal grasslands already have guidelines pertaining to OHV use, officials said. But those rules vary as widely as the areas they serve.

The purpose of the new proposal is to protect federal lands by preventing the proliferation of impromptu "user-created" roads and trails left by the small percentage of outlaw visitors taking part in the explosion of OHV use on federal lands, Troyer said.

While OHV users made up only 5 percent of the total number of visitors to national forests and grasslands in 2002, their overall numbers had swollen from 5 million in 1972 to 36 million in 2000.

OHVs include motor vehicles designed or retrofitted primarily for recreational use off road, such as minibikes, amphibious vehicles, snowmobiles, motorcycles, go-carts, motorized trail bikes and dune buggies. It also includes sport utility vehicles and all-terrain vehicles.

Troyer acknowledged that enforcement will be a problem, largely because of constraints on the agency's $4 billion annual budget. But the Forest Service will rely on volunteers and other users to help report violators.

Raines said the current "spaghetti system of trails" in the Ocala National Forest needs to be straightened out and structured to protect animal habitat and environmentally sensitive areas and to help other visitors who seek tranquility to enjoy the forest.

The public has 60 days to comment on the proposed rule. Such comments may be sent to: Proposed Rule for Designated Routes and Areas for Motor Vehicle Use, Content Analysis Team, P.O. Box 221150, Salt Lake City, UT 84122-1150. Remarks will be accepted by e-mail to or by fax to (801) 517-1014.

Troyer said the individual forests and grasslands will each develop a "user map," which will become the governing document of OHV use in those areas. While some may finish defining their OHV areas in as little as a year, others could take up to four years. And the public will be allowed to make its input known for each one.

"Designated routes, local decision-making is really at the heart of what we're trying to do," Troyer said.

Bill Thompson covers county government and can be reached at 867-4117

The purpose of the new proposal is to protect federal lands by preventing the proliferation

of "user-created" roads and trails left by outlaw visitors taking part in the explosion of OHV use on federal lands.

Reply to
KC

Sounds good to me....

John Davies

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

i would like to see any police or national park service vehicle attempt to get near me, much less pull me over off-road in my lifted jeep - they'd be stuck in the first mud puddle or pile of pebbles while i leave them in the dust

stupid cops

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Around here the buggers use a chopper And they drive Jeeps!!!....

Mike

Joshua Nels>

Reply to
Mike Romain

In Moab they are buzzing around on dirt bikes. They can cover a trail much faster than any of the jeeps.

Reply to
Rusted

with helicopters...

Reply to
Mike

Quit sniveling and do something. Join a group dedicated to responsible off-road use.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
Jim85CJ

You're kidding, right?

If you don't know why you must wheel responsibly and stay out of restricted areas, then you are the kind of jeeper who gives the greens ammunition to close the entire back country to the rest of us.

Time for you to learn something about Tread Lightly. Either that or trade in your jeep for a rice rocket.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The worst that can happen is happening. The Forestry Service, goaded by well organized outfits such as the sierra club, rainbow coalition, green party=, etc, is closing areas and preventing us from using our public lands in the manner that we chose. They have been at it for decades. Getting off-roaders to unite and fight for our rights is like herding cats. A few yahoos doing donuts or tearing up preserved land sets us all back.

If you aren't part of an organization that defends our common hobby, then you will have no right to whine when they take it away. It takes a lot of time, patience, and money to battle the man. There are only a few warriors fighting the bureaucracy for us, and they need our support.

Reply to
Paul Calman

And here was I thinking we only had Tree Huggers in Europe. I thought that since Bush was in Office you people had kicked out al those enviroment preservers and finaly found real freedom!

Silly me.

Reply to
Bert

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Here are a few good links to organization that are trying to keep the trails open.

and
For those in California there is also

John Benito

Jim,

Your comment that "its just grass" illustrates how dangerous your ignorance is to the interests of responsible four wheelers.

Please educate yourself:

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

"> > stupid cops

And Motorolas...

Reply to
gromit

That depends upon where it is. A set of tracks spun into the ground on a Kansas plain may be nothing, but in the Imperial Desert you can still see the tracks where Patton's Army trained. In places like Lake Elsinore the erosion is terrible without out help, but tracks form deep ditches in a few years. Though the tracks you leave may be of no consequence to the environment, they are a weapon that our common enemies will use against us with zeal.

Here is the website for CORE, a tiny but well-funded group of X-San Francisco seed eaters who want all off-roading and wood cutting to cease here. In spite of their statement of being in support of multiple use, they are against any plan that allows off-highway vehicles into the forest. We of "Partners in Recreation" have caught them lying repeatedly, and documented these falsehoods, but State Forestry still listens to them over our large group because they can afford a big-city lawyer. Check out the photo page where they make a great show of pointing at tire tracks. The kids who made those tracks have helped to close the riding areas near their homes.

Paul Calman