So many boxes... so little time.

Looking at the above image from paddocks exhausts, the 101 only has the centre type box fitted and no second box.

Now the 101 goes fine, and sounds, erm.... plesant but are there any reasons not to go with a single box system on Percy? 3.5 V8 as he will be shortly ... won't he Tom!!! :-P

Given it's always the rear boxes which rot off first and I'm not looking for "Is it running or isn't it?" sound levels.

I know these things should be balanced and finely tuned but it's not causing any problems for Morph (101) or is it?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D composed the following;:

Dunno ... but ...

I just replaced the rear exhaust box on my Disco, which I admit is a bit different .. ;)

The rear box had actually rotted through at the front of it and fallen off, but with no rear box at all I didn't notice any change whatsoever in exhaust note, so had left it till I got a tuit. However, what I did notice was a distinct reluctance to tow heavy stuff. Normal car-loads (four people and 'stuff') were OK, but as soon as we put the caravan on or the bike trailer and a couple of Trials bikes it didn't really want to know.

New rear box on and full power back again. ;)

Incidentally, cheapest I found was about £46 + delivery .. Local Kwik Fit did it fitted for £54.90, and they had to burn the remnants off, lift the body up, and still had a few problems getting the new one in. I'm seriously glad that for a tenner I didn't have to get under, without a full ramp, and use the grinding wheel.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I'm gonna try and wire my trailer socket up tonight! Feel free to come round and keep the wheelbarrow (and mud) moving while i stop to do the wiring ;-)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:40:14 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

odd, seeing as the rear box which just fell off ours is a straight-through absorbtion one, so can't realistically affect back-pressure.

piece of spare exhaust pipe rammed into the end of ours, by way of a tailpipe.

I see the 300 type exhaust doesn't have a separate rear end, buggrem, so you have to have half the pipe an' all to get the bit you want.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sorry , gotta blow some candles out on a cake tonight :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Austin Shackles composed the following;:

swotithort, but it _did_ make a difference ... and very noticeable too.

That was a consideration, if I couldn't have got one by Saturday morning.

Yup, which, as it snakes about the axle and sus is 'a right bugger' to fit.

Removal's easy though, with a torch .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

So Austin Shackles was, like

Possibly related to length rather than back pressure.

See above.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You should have said! Hope there wernt too many of them! :p

Now thta you have that lift i expect to hear it running by next week!

Reply to
Tom Woods