oil grade advice

I know it's an old subject, but I need some advice on which engine oil to use. I could still use some input with this dilemma. bear with me. I live in NY and I am changing the oil in my car for the first time (2003 VW Passat GLX) . I want to switch to synthetic. I heard it is less harmful to the engine at startup. I only use the car on weekends for longer road trips and unfortunately have to repark my car (sanitation dept cleaning) about three to four times a week and so the engine is on for about five to ten minutes at these times.

Which would anyone recommend for the NY climate and my driving needs:

5w-40, 5w-30 (seems to be the one most dealers use) or 0w-40 ?

These are the engine oils I can find locally. Anyone have thoughts as to which is better?

- Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 synthetic (this can be ordered at walmart - part #VV966 - quart size)

- Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 synthetic

- Mobil 1 5w-30

- Mobil 1 0w-40

- Rotella T 5w-40

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Reply to
sheriff

Check your owners manual. Follow the instructions there. The Manual will tell you everything but the brand. The most important part is not the brand but all the other letters and numbers. While there are differences from brand to brand and I am sure you will get some responses based on that, the really important part is not the brand.

I might also say that much, but not all, brand information is based on old, or inaccurate information. One exception is the information about which brands (and line within the brand) are full synthetic and those that are blends. Not that I believe the difference is critical, but it does have value and you should know what you are paying for.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Read your owners manual and I think it should suggest 5w40. As for which brand in my opinion they are all just the same when dealing with synthetic oil as long as they meet the VW spec! I guess you're wondering by using synthetic if the engine will be more "happy" or last longer than regular oil... maybe-maybe not. I can tell you at our dealer we have very few owners who use synthetic oil and have no engine problems to date even with over

100,000 miles.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I believe the factory fill is Lubro Moly 5W40 synthetic, so given this is your first oil change, you will not be switching to synthetic, but rather sticking with it. (Dealer technicians will doubtlessly correct me if I'm wrong!:-)

As others have said, the critical thing is the viscosity (5W40) not the brand or whether it's mineral or synthetic. However, 5W40 is to my knowledge only available as a synthetic, due to the wide viscosity range of 35 points. This particular viscosity is "off the beaten path." You may have a hard time finding someone who will use it, unless you bring your oil in. None of the VW dealers I spoke to in the Northern or Southwest Virginia locales where I spend most of my time would use this oil. One even told me that the "manual has a typo; it should be 5W30." No doubt the warranty also has a typo where it says I need to follow the recommended service schedules.

The dealers seemed to be choosing viscosities randomly. Some said 5W30. Some said 10W30. One said 20W-50.

I eventually found a mechanic, recommended by a friend, who specializes in German cars. The mechanic would order Lubro Moly 5W40 or 0W40 for me. I went with him. He got 0W40 since it has better low temperature protection and equivalent high temperature protection. Needless to say, this mechanic, and not any of the dealers I spoke to, will be getting my scheduled maintenance business.

If you want to do your own oil changes, you should be able to use any of the

5W40 or 0W40 brands you named, or you can order Lubro Moly on the web. Just Google Lubro Moly.
has been recommended to me, but I've never used them myself.
Reply to
4Motion

As far as I know the only newer VW's with factory synthetic oil is the TDI and W8! As for which brand(?), but I do know when we had the Porsche car line from about 1994-2001 Porsche put a sticker near the oil fill to recommended oil is Mobil 1. Why, only Porsche knows or maybe it's better than some other synthetic.

maintenance

Reply to
Woodchuck

Most likely a "Preferred Vendor Agreement". VW and most manufacturers have these with many suppliers in the automotive industry. Basically, a PVA states that Company ABC will supply VW with part XYZ for $XXX if VW agrees to use this specific part from this vender only. Usually, there is a cost break involved as an extra incentive.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I've no doubt I was being fed a line, or several lines. Thanks for the part number, that at least gives me something to wave at them.

Reply to
4Motion
5w-40 is kinda hard to find here, but mobil 0w-40 is available and meets vw's, audi's, porshe's, mb's, bmw's, etc latest specs (mb229.3 mb229.5, 502.00/505.00/503.1, etc) on extended interval oil changes and outstanding protection for gas/turbo/diesel engines.
Reply to
Rondo

VW dealers in the US should have Castrol Syntec 5W-40. There is supposedly a TSB directing them to use this when servicing cars with TDI engines (but also suitable for gasoline engines). It is fairly expensive, so it is unlikely to be included in a normal service unless you ask for it and pay for it.

Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 at $13 per gallon at Wal Mart is much less expensive.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Really? So VW has found a source for *dino* 5W40, then? That's hard to believe, I can't even find a synthetic oil in that grade anywhere near where I live (Suffolk County, NY).

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Wal Mart should have Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40.

VW dealer or vwparts.com should have Castrol Syntec 5W-40.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Fwiw, the 24 valve VR6, and maybe other engines, has come with 0W-30 synthetic since the end of 2002.

Reply to
dmkozak