Need some advice badly..

My sister-in-law is having MAJOR problems with her 1999 A4 1.8T.

She has had this car in for service ( under a 2 year warranty BTW ) no less than 7 times since last Sept ( when she purchased it ). She just got it out of the dealer shop 2 days ago after being there for 10 days. On the WAY HOME ( sorry, emphasis important here ) it literally died in a mountain of 5PM traffic!

It has, the dealer says " an infrequent starting problem" ( duh). They have done endless computer chip tests ( don't ask, I don't know what specifically ) and yet, this poor girl has a totally unreliable auto that she cannot rely on at all. She is actually renting a car to go to NY because she doesn't have faith in this car. I don't blame her either. Everytime we visit her, the car is in the shop!

What I want to know is what can be done? I have not checked the Maine Lemon Laws ( am going to after I post this ) but apparently, from what I know, since it is over 2 years old, nothing can be done. She has spoken with the dealers' owner about this and he offered ( that's a stretch ) to give her a "deal" on a 2001 model ( which will cost her more ). She can't afford this.

I guess the question is: What would YOU do? Any help appreciated on this. BTW, her whole extended family have numerous Audi's and this was a major factor in her buying one. I feel for her and want to help.

TIA

Reply to
Vector Newman

place it for sale in the local paper, large scale add, stating all the problems.........then put purchased from........and name the dealer.

mini

Reply to
GoGetEm

Get a cheap used ECU at any parts retailer and have hers replaced. Check Oxygen sensor, MAF, and remember if she had any kind of crash before her problems started it could be a case of smashed wiring and a bad repair job. Anyway, start in the order you want.

Alternatively, you may want to ask the dealer for a swap - I'm sure they'd be able to locate a similar car, or to ask them to buy hers back for the money you have to pay to buy a similar one somewhere else.

My two cents,

JP Roberts

GoGetEm escribió en el mensaje de noticias bdico1$j9r$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
JP Roberts

Ditto on the oxygen sensors. My own "infrequent starting problems" with my 1999 A-6 turned into a dead car along the side of the highway.

The dealer had it two weeks, count 'em two, before the "techs" came up with bad oxygen sensors as the cause. There were no fault codes to lead them to the problem. They actually had to troubleshoot. The O2 sensors were replaced, not cheaply, and the car runs fine for now.

Good luck. I love my car, but am having confidence problems myself right now. Nothing like being left high and dry by the car and then the dealer in turn.

It was Diablo of Concord CA, by the way.

Best,

Grover

Reply to
Grover