Need some quick advice

86 4Runner

How far does the tranny need to slide back in order for the input shaft to be clear of everything?

and...

What is the easiest way to get at those bellcasing bolts that are on the back side of the engine up high near the firewall? There are at least two bolts (maybe a third one also that I haven't seen yet) and they are damn hard to get at. Should I be attacking them from inside the engine compartment or from the under the vehicle?

Gonna do this job (clutch replacement) in a day or so, any timely advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
Mark Simpson

for the bolts, either use about a 4 foot extension or break those top bolts loos first and turn out by hand.

Reply to
Tom Osbon

Needs to come back 4 or 5 inches (maybe a bit more). It's a game of back, lower, back, lower because the tranny will start to hit the body (unless you have a body lift)

Don't forget to support the engine, either from underneath or above.

Tom

Reply to
Tom & Nikki Mister

When removing a transmission from an '81 diesel pickup in preparation for a clutch plate change I remember lifting the front end of the engine with a jack, this made it easier for the tranny to clear the bodywork when pulling it back. I think that I had to undo some motor mount to do this, it was over ten years ago.

Good luck, Rob in Calgary

Reply to
Robert Young

You have this helpful link? --- its what I used. Rented a trans jack and took 2 days.

Wolfgang