Transmission - vibrations in reverse

Hi

I've just noticed today that when I am in reverse (4 speed automatic, 1999.5 Golf TDI) and my foot is on the brake the car shakes quite a bit, and the noise from the engine get very low pitched... no change in idle speed other then the usual slight drop. When you let the brake off the idle speed caries the car and the engine/tranny smooths right out.

The only things different about today from any other day is that I have been driving in and throught very heavy/deep snow... And when I was out for the first time this morning I stopped the car, pulled the handbrake and took my foot off the gas with the car in Drive... I never do this, guess it was "one of those days" the car of course was firmly stopped so nothing happened, and I slid the selector into park... without my foot on the brake.

Do you think me shifting into park (going over Reverse in the process) from Drive with no foot on the brake and now having Reverse vibrate like crazy could be related?

I'm wondering why the lock solenoid allowed me to shift the gears? Reverse has always shaken a bit more then Drive and definately more then Park/Neutral, but this is a lot worse then I have ever noticed - transmission fluid was changed at 95K kms, car has 114K Kms on it now, transmission up till today was perfect.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Driving in deep and heavy snow can temporarily change the characteristics of how you car feels. Snow packed up in places can make your car feel louder. No BS... :-)

You should be okay after you hose down all the compacted snow and the body noise should return to normal.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I really hope so.... I'm thinking it might be the exhaust system now, I think tomorrow i'll drive it to the Esso no touch wash, it does underbody.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hosed the car down everywhere today.... I think driving around in the snow has knocked an exhaust hanger loose... The car is sounding a lot like my old

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Yep. This can happen. Ramp it and check by wiggling the exhaust. Use gloves, its cold out there.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I barely do enough of my own maintenance in the summer (need more equipment, and I don't have enough enclosed space) let alone when it's cold out... plus my driveway's filled with snow. I did have a look under the car but I couldn't really see anything, I pushed the muffler with my hand and it was solidly attached, but I couldn't reach any of the pipes connecting to it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Add sausage, salt, crab boil, lemons and garlic. Drop potatoes in, boil for 4 minutes. Corn is added next, boil an additional 11 minutes. Put the live babies into the boiling water and cover. Boil till meat comes off easily with a fork.

Oven-Baked Baby-Back Ribs

Beef ribs or pork ribs can be used in this recipe, and that is exactly what your dinner guests will assume! An excellent way to expose the uninitiated to this highly misunderstood yet succulent source of protein.

2 human baby rib racks 3 cups barbecue sauce or honey glaze (see index) Salt black pepper white pepper paprika

Remove the silverskin by loosening from the edges, then stripping off. Season generously, rubbing the mixture into the baby?s flesh. Place 1 quart water in a baking pan, the meat on a wire rack. Bake uncovered in 250° oven for 1½ hours. When browned, remove and glaze, return to oven and bake 20 minutes more to form a glaze. Cut ribs into individual pieces and serve with extra sauce.

Fresh Sausage

If it becomes necessary to hide the fact that you are eating human babies, this is the perfect solution. But if you are still paranoid, you can substitute pork butt.

5 lb. lean chuck roast 3 lb. prime baby butt 2 tablespoons each: salt black, white and cayenne peppers celery salt garlic powder parsley flakes brown sugar 1 teaspoon sage
Reply to
Rob Guenther

the leftovers in your refrigerator.

1 - 2 lbs. cubed meat (human flesh, chicken, turkey, beef...) 1 -2 lbs. coarsely chopped vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips, cauliflower, cabbage...) Bell pepper onions garlic ginger salt pepper, etc. Olive oil butter

Brown the meat and some chopped onions, peppers, and garilic in olive oil, place in baking dish, layer with vegetables seasoning and butter. Bake at 325° for 30 - 45 minutes. Serve with hot dinner rolls, fruit salad and sparkling water.

Bébé Buffet 1

Show off with whole roasted children replete with apples in mouths - and babies? heads stuffed with wild rice. Or keep it simple with a hearty main course such as stew, lasagna, or meat loaf.

Some suggestions

Pre-mie pot pies, beef stew, leg of lamb, stuffed chicken, roast pork spiral ham, Cranberry pineapple salad, sweet potatoes in butter, vegetable platter, tossed salad with tomato and avocado, parsley new potatoes, spinich cucumber salad, fruit salad Bran muffins, dinner rolls, soft breadsticks, rice pilaf, croissants Apple cake with rum sauce, frosted banana nut bread sherbet, home made brownies Iced tea, water, beer, bloody marys, lemonade, coffee

The guests select food, beverages, silverware... everything from the buffet table. They move to wherever they are comf

Reply to
Peter Parker