Transmission slips in reverse 92 300SL

I have a 92 300SL. My automatice transmission seems to "slip" in reverse. When backing up, it's as if it were a manual and the clutch was part way disengaged. It's not consistent, but does so more often than not. Doesn't seem to matter if it's cold or warm. Transmission fluid is clean and full. All forward gears seem to be fine. Also, when engaging reverse from park, there is a long hesitation before the trasnsmission engages. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Change the internal filter, or have it changed. While it may look just fine, it's inhibiting the pressure needed to engage the bands and servos.

Due to the strict cleanliness involved, I'd take it to a transmission shop and ask for *only* the filter change. They'll probably hard-sell a full service (with a "free inspection" that usually involves a suggested transmission rebuild for a "special" price); that's up to you, but I'd try a simple filter installation and see if that doesn't fix it. I have heard (not sure if it's true) that MBs should have genuine MB transmission fluid; if you do have the fluid changed (which they probably have to do when they drain the transmission for a filter change), you'll need to find out whether it needs to be genuine MB fluid, or one of the standard fluid types the transmission shop would use on an MB.

Those symptoms have happened to me on a few cars; it's always been a filter that needs changing. About $99 if I remember correctly. .

Reply to
Newsgroup Reader