Vibration in Steering Wheel

I've dropped the Wheel Bearing issue...but...at idle, in "D" (drive) the steering wheel vibrates...alot. I have the idle speed set correctly, the engine mounts are all new, so I am wondering where the vibration is coming from. I did a quick search on Google and found that there is a universal joint in the steering column? Is it replaceable....is it discussed in the Bentley Manual? This is something within the last 5-6 months that has developed.

1990 Jetta GLI with Automatic Transmission (yes, they built them with automatics)

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

There is a U-joint at the bottom of the column I believe and also a plastic bushing an inh or two above it that centers the column in the shaft. My plastic bushing fell out and my steering wheel was able to move about. I talked this old German mechanic and he told me to just push the plastic bushing back up and secure it with a hose clamp. He saved me alot of time and trouble w/ that fix.

Reply to
WHTDOG469

Ingear, at idle & not moving? That's a feature for that year!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I have been looking on ETKA, but cannot seem to find this bushing, or the U-Joint itself....

I can see it in this image:

But it doesn't look like it is a single part that is available.

If anyone has the part numbers, that would be great!

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman