02 Z71 1500 4X4 oil problem

Hi all,

Okay hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

My oil level light has come on three times. It has 49K miles and I'm changing the oil with mobile one synth (have since I bought the truck new) every 5K miles. Yesterday it came on again and I'm about 4800 miles into this oil cycle.

So for the past three oil change cycles (15K miles) the oil level light has come on and the level is about 1 - 1.5 quarts low. No symptoms of burning and no piston slap that seems to be mentioned often here.

I can't believe that this is "normal consumption" but I can't figure this one out.

My typical work week has me driving only 13 miles to/from work and I get some decent highway miles on most weekends. I really don't do any

4 wheeling and the truck is just a "commuter vehicle" meaning that I don't haul anyting much at all.

I searched for TSBs but found nothing. Can you guys please point me in some direction so that I can solve this oil mystery?

Thanks,

Djay

Reply to
stoehrd

When you are changing the oil and installing the new filter are you priming the new filter before installing it, or are you installing it dry? If you are installing it dry, that right there will take almost a quart of oil, which would explain (at least part of) your problem.

Reply to
azwiley1

========= =========

Check your oil......EVERY day before starting out........

Check your oil......EVERY day when getting home.........

Check your oil consumption....EVERY day.

Check for an oil laden undercarriage caused by the oil blowing back while the truck is cruising.

It's either going somewhere, or your NOT filling it up after the oil change. There is NO inbetween.

~:~ marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

This is a bit much for low mileage car. Maybe every tank of fuel or so but oil usage is not abnormal based on what he stated. Some engines tend to use more SYN oil than regular oil too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

To say that "using" a quart to a quart/half regardless of oil type is anything other than "abnormal" is pure bullshit and just goes to prove again why your advice is dangerous and stupid. I have 200k on mine 99 Z71 and would you care to guess what my oil consumption is between changes? No, I'll tell you, it is none, not readable, not noticable on the stick and I use nothing but SYN oil. So how is this "normal" for the O.P? To the O.P you either are installing the new filter dry which explains it, or as Marsh stated, you have a leak or are not getting it filled properly fromthe get go.

Reply to
azwiley1

Yes you are indeed full of it as usual Actual I like to se a engine use a qusrt of oil at least every 3 or 4 K because it means the the upper rings are likley being lubed a bit better. Sure some engine use no oil but it is a not very coomon today in newer hot running engine and you would know this too if you were not a troll. Engine that use just a bit of oil tend to run a very longe time. I have one that is 18 years old and with 180K plus miles now and it use about a quart every

3500 to 4000 miles and it has been doing that for about 15 years with no real change. The GM oil consumption limit for warranty claims is a LOT higher than a quart every 3K.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I am full of it as usual? Would you care to show/explain at what point in this thread I am full of it? Who cares what you like to see? Just because you like to see something, does not make it correct or normal. Actually you are wrong (again) though newer engines rev higher and run hotter, they also have MUCH thigher tolerances when assembled. Because of the higher tolerances, and the other issues I mentioned above, some newer engines come with and can (should) only use syn based oils and they do not "burn" oil like you claim.

Reply to
azwiley1

Someone should start worrying about the Zinc being taken out of our oils.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

GM starts fixin' 'em at a quart in a thousand.

I've got 2 Jeep Wranglers, both with over 250,000 miles on 'em. The 4 cyl uses less than 1/2 quart in 5k and the 6 cyl used just about a quart in 5k.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

Oil change consists of priming the filter and then adding until I'm at the top of the dip stick.

So it must be a leak... I just don't see ANYTHING under the truck and I park in the same spot every day.

CRAP!

Djay

Reply to
stoehrd

When you prime the filter, how much oil are you getting into it? I ask because if you only pour some into it than screw it on, you are not getting is full and this still could be your problem. When I prime mine, I normally have to start priming it when I start the oil change because it will soak up the first fill up or two before you get to a point where it will just fill and not be absorbed into the filter element.

Reply to
azwiley1

Do you pull the dipstick and check the oil level every week or ten days? If not, you should.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Ed H.

======== ========

You don't see "ANYTHING" under the truck.....????

Nothing.....no dampness.....no signs of ANY wetness.... oil.......nowhere?? Nothing where it "could" be blowing back down under the truck?

curious....veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrry....curious.

There is only ONE place it could be going if that's the case, and that's through the exhaust system via the combustion chamber.

Pull a couple of spark plugs and take a look at them... Take a gander at the throttle body intake...... see if one of those has oil buildup.

and for future posting info........ ALWAYS....list the mileage of the vehicle....

??? (hint,hint)

~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his crownroya......drops ina mushroom......... mmmm.....good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Nothing where it "could" be blowing

thanks I'll do that and...

you should ALWAYS look at the top post to see that the OP posted the mileage ;)

Reply to
stoehrd

Nothing where it "could" be blowing

=========== ===========

That is the nicest "yer an idiot" that i've had in quite some time..........

ty...

and......srry.....(oops)

);

~:~ marsh ~takes a toke.........and worries bout grow'n season..... and never mind the small stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Nothing where it "could" be blowing

Hate gettin "slammed" myself!