1997 chevy suburban

I just bought a 1997 chevy suburban 4X4 with a 350 vortec and 115,000 miles on it. Just what can I expect to go wroung with body ,frame,electric, you know all those little thing that seem to go wroung with chevys,

Robert Marshall

Reply to
Robert Marshall

You fill me with confidance

Robert

Reply to
Robert Marshall

Per Robert Marshall:

Here's my experience with my '98:

--------------------------------------- Problems/Maint 00000: Hood spacers & seat install 05000: STRANDED Rear brake froze 07000: Steering noise 13000: Bad tire 20000: Trans shifting problem 27000: Front rotors warped 29000: Burning Oil 30000: Violent shifts 1st-2nd 34690: STRANDED Alternator 35940: Xmission Valve Body... 36240: Serpentine belt replacement 37000 "Clunking" noise when starting from full or near stop 39000: Steering became hard momentarily 39800: Rear clunk starting to return in rear (re/37000) 61060: New sus parts 67120: Trans shift prob (like 30000/35940) 68260: Pads+turn rotors+ 75040: STANDED Crank sensor 75350: "Check engine..." lite 75837: Valve Body (trans) 77100: Water pump 77439: Intake manifold gasket 85000: (approx) Wiper board 89000: Wiper board 98000: (approx) Serpentine Belt 98340: Alternator Failed

---------------------------------------

The ones relevant to you are probably the transmission valve body problem (seems tb about every 30k until it's fixed properly), the intake manifold, and the wiper board.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per Robert Marshall:

Remember the character Joe Bjsxylk in the Lil' Abner comic strip?

The one that walked around with the little rain cloud over his head all the time?

I feel sort of a bond with Joe.....

Most people in this NG swear by their 5.7's and Suburbans or pickups. I guess I just got lucky.....

Your's may have had the trannie thing fixed properly. If not, it's about $500.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)
1999 tahoe 4wd with 89000 miles. a/c quit at 45000 miles. it was just a misplaced hose that wore a hole. great vehivle. old john
Reply to
<ajeeperman

115,000

Because you had these problrm why should everyone else? My non Silverado GM trucks have been mostly trouble free. I have a older one that has not even had a half dozen problems in its life outside of maintance and none of them disabled the vehical and it has 172 K now. Last year when they were clear cutting my fence line for power lines access (about 2000 feet of it) one of the guys had a 97 GM P/U with

240K on it and he said that it will still pretty much stock and had never left him stranded and they beat their trucks too. You must have gotten a monday or friday truck or something.
Reply to
SnoMan

Per SnoMan:

I agree except for the intake manifold and transmission.

Those two seem tb widely reported - expecially the trannie.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):

... and the wiper control board.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I know the intake gaskets was a really big issue but tranny problem should not be. I have a friend with a 95 1 ton van with a 4L80E that has never been done and he has towed a big work trailer for years (it does have a aux tranny cooler) that can weigh 7 to 9k. I have not had problems with 700R4?s either but their have been a few issues with

4L60?s especailly in 4x4 with shift kits and/or or dized rubber with improper gearing and improper cooling as well. GM has long made a pretty good tranny otherwise.
Reply to
SnoMan