1997 Chevy Suburban 4x4 diesel steering problem

1997 4x4 Diesel Suburban driving at any speed will suddenly veer to the left, I have to hold the steering wheel the other way to compansate, after slowing right down and making a hard right turn there is a loud clunk and the steering go straight again. I have changed the steering column sensor. Bearings and Ball Joints have been checked and are ok. A friend suggest that the 4 wheel drive is trying to engage? Help please Cheers Doug
Reply to
tarka190

You very likely have a failure in steering box itself. The sensor is for rate of turn steering wheel to increase boost but their is a balancing valve in box that control how boost is applied to internal "ram" that provide boost to steering effort. You have a dangerous condition here and I would not drive it until steering box is replaced. For some reason many seem to think that steering boxes themselves never go bad and look for other causes.

Reply to
SnoMan