Steering damper shot?

Hello,

I have a '66 Beetle...every once in a while, when I hit a bump in the road, the steering wheel starts shaking violently until I slow way down or speed up. I haven't done much front end work on it, but it looks to me that the obvious problem is the steering damper.

- is this a correct diagnosis?

- any tips on replacing this? Procedure?

- if I do replace the SD, will I need to do a front end alignment as well? Never done one of those...is it difficult?

Thanks in advance!!

Jack Bilstein

Reply to
Jack Bilstein

..............It's not difficult. Empty the gas tank and remove it. You'll then have easy access. I'd look at the rest of the suspension and be sure that the tie rod ends, steering arm connection, ball joints, etc. are tight while the tank is out. If you do just replace the damper, no change in alignment would result from that alone.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Didn't have to remove the gas tank on my '69. Enough room in the right wheel well. Didn't need the front aligned either. No more shakes.

Reply to
SRVMoJo

no....

replace it along with any worn tierods/balljoints/wheel bearings...a bad steering damper will not cause violent shaking like you describe...a new one won't fix it either....if you have play in the joints or wheel bearings, and possibly need an alignment the front wheels will fight each other and when you hit the bump they will "bounce" back and forth off each other....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com, Chris Perdue at snipped-for-privacy@aol.comREMOVE wrote on 11/16/04 8:10 PM:

Is alignment something I can do? Or is that something that needs to be done at a garage with special equipment?

Reply to
Jack Bilstein

You don't have to remove the petrol/gas tank, but you'll loose a little more skin from your knuckes doing it that way :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

a home alignment *can* be done....i have done many on my cars and on my racecar, but it is better left to a shop....if you do a google search on this group someone actually posted a "how to" with pictures...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Your, steering damper might be shot, but that's not the reason the front end vibrates / resonates at certain speeds. Check that the wheels are not bent and that they are ballanced. Then if necessary change the steering damper, which might be shot from the excesive vibration. It would be a good idea to check all front end components.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

..............Removing the tank is easy and it makes it easier to work on everything underneath the tank including the steering box and master cylinder. JMO

Reply to
Tim Rogers

................Good point. A bent wheel is the culprit more often than most people realise. When I installed new wheels and tires on my '77, I was amazed at how smooth it started feeling at highway speeds. I thought at first that it was just the tires but when I did a close inspection of the the old wheels & tires, I discovered that 2 of the original wheels were bent.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

If the nuts holding it together are LOOSE enough, then you won't LOSE much skin.

Reply to
Red Bug

I think I've got a loose/lose brain (delete as appropiate) :-P

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

When I did it on my car, I simply measured from the centre point of the ball joint to a marked position on the trackrod. When the new balljoint was put on, it was the same length and the tracking was in tact.

The hardest part in the whole thing was working out why my balljoint didn't fit... the threads are handed, and I had the "wrong" one (but the "right" box)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

And while it is out clean that top horn connection! It's a pain to get to otherwise. Also renew the rubber fuel pipe.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

that "balljoint" is a "tierod end" to us yanks....