1998 chev blazer 4x4 4.3l v6 (no start)

Not starting just rolling over. got fuel, got spark, but i have not checked compression. Any idea's? please help...

-- Message posted using

information at

fogducker

How did you check for fuel? Just a pressure check tells you that you have fuel to the injector but not that the injector is working. Try a SMALL shot of ether and see if it fires. If it does your not getting fuel into the engine. If it doesn't then you may have a timing problem.

Reply to
Steve W.

thanks steve, I'll give it a try. Also i didn't mention but when i try to crank the engine I will get a fuel vapour mist come out the throttle body. When i stop cranking the engine sputters on for a bit...

Gerald

Near toronto ontario

-- Message posted using

information at

fogducker

Timing Chain or Gears Broke.

The mist is created because a > thanks steve, I'll give it a try. Also i didn't mention but when i try to

More information at

tom

yep i agree,

i tried quick start no luck at all. gonna tear her down and check the timing sprockets/chain. It's got 165,000 km's on it. Is this common for this engine? (4.3l v6)

-- Message posted using

information at

fogducker

I was still scepticle, so i checked a few more things.

1 I put the engine a t TDC 2 I removed # 1 spark plug 3 I comfirmed compression at Cyl # 1 4 I removed the distributor cap 5 I checked the rotor position It was in between post #2 and post #1 on the distributor cap. (should be lined up with post #1)

I don't feel very much play in the crank shaft, but I can only assume by my results that it has indeed skipped a tooth on the timing sprockets.

Any comments?

-- Message posted using

information at

fogducker

More information at

tom

plugged Cat Converter .or Some one Stuck something in the TAIL PIPE ( POTATOES ?

More information at

tom

On the distributor housing:

There will be a small numeral 8 and a 6. Make sure the rotor faces the numeral 6 on the housing. While all vehicles are susceptible to clogged catalytic convertors, I would say first:

Spray a good grade carburetor cleaner in the throttle body, try to start the engine. (If it starts, the problem is a fuel delivery problem.)

The distributor gears are prone to apple core out in the center, to lower center and edge. This can affect timing. (DO NOT cut the distributor hold down, to adjust timing!)

The wheel on the distributor shafts, are also known to slip.

There is a well documented problem with the injectors on this engine, and the 5.7 CPSI injectors, as used in the 4.3.

You'll need a good scanner to check the timing and cam sync on that engine also. a dealer in my area usually charges $40.00 plus tax.

If you have any problems, feel free to e-mail me.

RK

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks for all of your advice. I just wanted to say that I got the truck running. It turns out that sometimes the obvious can be eaisly overlooked. When the problem first occured it came out of nowhere. One day the engine would not start. I tried quite a few times to get it to go before I started to troubleshoot. Well I guess that is where I went wrong because the problem turned out to be worn spark plugs and by trying to start it over and over again i flooded them and the oil and presented a whole lot of ghost problems. I was however able to fix it without having to take it to a service shop. I'm an industrial mechanic by trade and i try to do my own car repair when i can.

-- Message posted using

information at

fogducker