1998 GMC Suburban

my 1998 GMC Suburban recently started having wierd issues with the dome light. When the windows are in the up position and the window switch is hit to raise, the dome light comes on and stays on as long as the switch is pushed. when the switch is released the light goes off. Any ideas? Also, my wife smelled something that smelled burning plastic or rubber, this was a week after we noticed the dome light issue. Can these two items be related, Or is this just another undocumented feature?

Reply to
christopher.moser

Check for a bad ground wire and curcuit is seeking another ground and is overloading it cause the smell and strange light problem. When a car has grounding issues, it can do strange things.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

????? I'm surprized you didn't tell the op to trade it off like you did to the girl in the dodge group. Heck, they're both electrical problems altho the dodge was just a speed sensor problem.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Some trolls never sleep. BTW, it is a well known fact that Doge can be a royal paion on electrical issues when they get old, a lot worse than a GM or Ford. DOdge has never been known to age well overall for many years now. While they genrally used to make a good engine and tranny, the rest of the truck can go to the dogs with time and you reach a point where you have to cut your losses and move one. There is a lot more old GM trucks on road than doges and that tells you something to but GM may suffer Dodge fate becauae the new silverado design tends to be more troublesome long term too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You have proven that.

Any electrical issue can be a pia if you don't know what you are doing. IIrc the dodge truck was a $45.00 sensor change out. You advocated trading the truck. Idiot!

Reply to
Roy

You just did by your comment!

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I'm thinking it's only well know by you. They're all about the same to me.

DOdge has never been known to age well overall for many

Dodge is no worse than GM or Ford, they all have their problems.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

This is just a wild guess, but I wonder if the window rolling up changes the way the inside door panel sits enough to make the cheap plasic dome light switch to move just enough to turn the lights on. I had to remove the switch from my 98 Suburban passenger side front door because the light wouldn't always stay off.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff in Atl

Window is up, hitting the up button is flexing the door and inner door panel causing the dome light switch on the side of the dash to make contact and trip the dome light. Burning smell is probably the window motor burning out from being stalled out in the up position too long. LOL

Reply to
Repairman