1999 Tahoe radio problem

My '99 Tahoe is working fine, except for the radio/CD player. It worked until yesterday and then just quit. It has no sound, but you can read the station the radio is on and the CD read out is fine....just no sound. Everything is normal...but no sound. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what is the fix? Is it a fuse? Is the amplifier gone? I should mention that it has the SCV feature where the sound of the radio lowers as you slow down and raises as you go faster to compensate for noise levels. TIA

Reply to
Kathy Shaffer

If there is a short in a speaker wire it would most likely stop all sound from coming out. Was there anything that would have caused a speaker wire to break and short?

I have never had a encounter with a SCV radio, but I would assume that if there is no signal from the SCV sensor that tells the radio the speed (if that's how it works) that the radio would just work normally.

-Joe

Reply to
Joe Webster

Sounds like your amplifier may be shot. Pull the radio and check all the connections, and all your fuses to be sure. If it is, your only option is to replace. You may find one in an auto salvage yard, but most likely your best bet is aftermarket. You don't mention whether or not you have OnStar and whether or not it's important to you. That's important in the decision making process since aftermarket head units are more problematic if you use OnStar.

Assuming you don't use OnStar, you're best bet is going to be the Pioneer CD-receiver sized at 1 1/2 DIN so it will fit your dash opening exactly. It's a far better head unit than stock, and looks better. It's about a 15 minute install, complete drop-in with no ugly face plate adapters or anything like that. $249, includes wiring harness (no solder/splice) and complete instructions.

Look at

HMc

Reply to
Howard McCollister

Howard, You may be right about the amp. I checked all the fuses on the fuse block in the engine compartment and they are all fine, so unless there is a separate fuse system for the stereo, it's not that. It doesn't have OnStar, so that's not a factor. I guess the next step is to pull the radio/CD/cassette and check that. It's a leased vehicle, so I'm not really enthused about spending money to replace the stereo system. $249 seems reasonable, though. I will have to ponder that! Thank you for the suggestions! Kathy

Reply to
Kathy Shaffer

a shorted speaker will spell the death of the outputs on any factory amplifier. they tend not to have the solid protection circuits that even entry level aftermarket amps do.

sounds like the head is toast...a good test would be to swap in a known-good unit for the original. yours is the one with the cassette/display in the dash radio location, and the slim cd player unit underneath?

if so, make sure you get the right replacement unit with controls for the cd player. you can bet the head unit is toast.

Hamilton Audio Car Audio, Security & Performance

Reply to
LowDownZ28

When installing audio systems in leased vehicles, we insist that we use wire harness integrator plugs and full dash kits. This allows us to do all our soldering/taping/messing to a removable harness and simple plug into the factory wires. The dash kit is the same...simply bolts into the factory radios place, offering a secure and attractive place for the new radio.

Upon return to the dealer, it is VERY quick to remove the aftermarket stuff and plug in the old factory radio. In many cases, dealerships NEVER knew there was a system in the vehicle! And thats the way it should be....now you can take your investment (in aftermarket car audio) onto the next vehicle. the only "loss" is that if you get a different vehicle, you'll need a different plug and plate ($20 cdn each) big deal to preserve warranty and lease returnability!!!

Hamilton Audio Car Audio, Security & Performance

Reply to
LowDownZ28

You are correct about the unit I have. Cassette on top/CD player on the bottom and radio and controls in the middle with the SCV feature. I still haven't had the time to get the unit out of the dash to see if a plug came loose or what. I plan to take it in to a car audio place and have it tested once I do. We were driving on a very rough road several times while camping, and while I hope that Chevy's are built tougher than that, I think something may have jarred loose--at least one can hope that's the problem. The music died after we got home. If the amp is bad, I will probably not replace it until I turn it in at lease end. The Tahoe is not my primary driver so it's not a high priority; the stereo in the other car is fine. I appreciate all the suggestions and will post again once I figure out what went wrong so all who are interested and may encounter the same problem will know. I hope that will be soon. I sometimes work 7 days a week for 3 or 4 weeks at a time and this is one of those times. 2 more weeks and I get a week off. TTFN, Kathy '99 Tahoe '94 525i

am/fm/cd/cass

Reply to
Kathy Shaffer