XLT CD player says slots full, but they aren't!

I have read a number of posts about problems with the OEM stereos in Explorers, but I haven't seen this one yet.

A friend of mine has an '01 F250 that he bought a new aftermarket stereo for. He gave me the OEM 6 CD in-dash stereo he took out. I used it to replace the Ford CD/Cassette player in my '01 Explorer XLT.

Everything seemed to work fine except... the CD player says "slots full" and shows 1-6 in the display under the volume bar. Well there are no CD's in the player and if you try and eject it shows "initializing" on the display then says "CD Error". Tried it a dozen different ways and just can't get it to clear itself.

I have pulled it out and disconnected the wires, but no difference. By the way it sat on a shelf in my garage for a couple weeks and I was suprised to see that all my friend's station presets are still in the radio. How's it do that?

Anyway, if anyone has an idea how I can fix this I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Larry

Reply to
Larry C

If you looked closely, you would have seen exactly what time he removed the radio, too.... for some reason, they save that exact moment in memory, too.

As for the other troubles..... it's not uncommon to see problems with the early examples of these decks..... If the radio was removed without putting it into shipping mode and then jostled about, this could also have damaged the unit. The unit should be placed into shipping mode any time it is removed from the dashboard. To enter shipping mode, turn the radio on and remove any CDs. With the radio still on, press and hold the "SCAN" button and preset 1 until the display reads "PLEASE WAIT".... this should last for about two seconds after which the display should read "IN SHIPPING MODE" for three seconds. I realize it might be a little late for you, but it may help someone else.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim Thanks for the info, I will pass it along. I tried the "parking" sequence you suggested just to see if it might do something. Unfortunately it didn't even give me the "please wait" message. If you know any other commands that maight give this thing a reset, please let me know.

LarryC

Reply to
Larry C

Yours may have some self-diagnostic capabilities....... with the radio turned on and in AM or FM mode, depress preset 3 and 6 at the same time. This should put the unit into speaker walk around test mode. You'll be able to tell (if speakers are hooked up) because it will apply sound to each speaker in turn for one or two seconds. While in the walk-around test, depress button one will start an on demand test..... If "Self Fail" is displayed, press "Tune>" to display any trouble codes. If none are found, "Self pass" will be displayed (the diagnostic capabilities are somewhat limited).

Press button 2 to view/clear continuous codes..... If there are no CMDTCs, "No DTCs" will be displayed..... If the message "DTCs Found" is displayed, pressing "Tune >" will scroll through the DTCs....

Sadly, most of the pinpoint tests end with "send to authorized repair facility".

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim I tried the self test as you described below. I even punched a few buttons you didn't suggest and got some results which will probably lead to that "send to authorized repair facillity". Anyway I thought I'd impose upon you one more time to try and get some meaning out of the results.

From the DTC's U2003 CDDJ U2005 RICP U2008 PHONE U2406 CD

From some other buttons results CDDJ 00 00 0 RICP 02 03 0

Don't have a clue what the phone thing would be, but I'm guessing the CDDJ is the CD changer and the 00 00 0 means its br0ke.

Whata ya think??

Thanks again,

LarryC

Unfortunately

Reply to
Larry C

The U codes are all network codes. For instance, the U2003 CDDJ code is for the CD changer...... it can't communicate with it. This could be because it can't find the CDDJ on the network or there simply isn't a CD changer installed. I'll have to go fishing to find out what RICP is... sounds familiar but not familiar enough.... again, it can't communicate with this other module - usually because it isn't installed.

As it stands, all you have is codes that indicate that the unit can't communicate across the network with other modules. Considering your application, there are no surprises. You might consider checking with the dealer what an exchange unit would cost but it is likely equal to the price of an aftermarket unit that may perform better.

Reply to
Jim Warman

My CD Player is doing the same thing since I removed the stuck CD's. I have a 01 Explorer Sport. Any ideas?????

Reply to
Clayton1970

Big Jim of the great white north says mine is dead. I went with an aftermarket replacement. I didn't try his suggestion of visiting my Ford dealer and asking if they would make me a deal. I doubt it would have been worht it anyway since the factory unit isn't that great of a stereo.

Reply to
Larry C