2000 Silverado Defrost

Does the A/C compressor run in defrost mode in these new generation trucks? Mine doesn't. Is it normal or do I have a problem?

Thanks;

Mike T

2000 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab stepside 5.3, AT
Reply to
mjticon

That is normal on most any vehicle, it does this to dry the air to make it defrost quicker.

Reply to
Eugene
2000 Z71 GMC My A/C compressor runs when the defroster is on. Does yours run when the A/C is on? Sometimes in the cold weather the refrigerant leaks. When the refrigerant pressure drops to low the compressor will not operate.

Reply to
Mport

I'm not sure about my truck, but in an older GM car I have the owners manual states that it will run when in defrost mode if the outdoor temperature is above freezing.

Al

Reply to
ajtessier

I have a 2000 silverado and mine runs on defrost

Reply to
DAvid Norris

It is supposed to run but the pressure of the charge drops with temp and when it gets cold enough the low pressure cutout switch will prevent it from running. If system is alos low on charge it may reach cutoff tempature sooner.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I have only owned the truck for a week. The temp during that time has not risen above 25=B0F. It's 5=B0F right now. The Owners manual states the AC will not engage at temps where it would be ineffective. My ulterior motive here is just this... I have a 3 month warrantee that covers A/C, but I can't get the A/C to kick in because it's just too cold to work(according to the manual. If it doesn't work I want get it fixed now. If the AC kicks in in defrost mode then I could confirm proper operation. Of course mebbe it won't kick in even in defrost if it's too cold. What I need is one of you nice folks to go outside when it's real cold, turn on your Defrost in your 2000 Chevy or equivelent and tell me if the compressor engages... Lot to ask I know. It's cold out there...

Thanks;

Mike T

Reply to
mjticon

Important: For A/C compressor operation, ambient air temperature must be above 3°C (38°F).

paul

I have only owned the truck for a week. The temp during that time has not risen above 25°F. It's 5°F right now. The Owners manual states the AC will not engage at temps where it would be ineffective. My ulterior motive here is just this... I have a 3 month warrantee that covers A/C, but I can't get the A/C to kick in because it's just too cold to work(according to the manual. If it doesn't work I want get it fixed now. If the AC kicks in in defrost mode then I could confirm proper operation. Of course mebbe it won't kick in even in defrost if it's too cold. What I need is one of you nice folks to go outside when it's real cold, turn on your Defrost in your 2000 Chevy or equivelent and tell me if the compressor engages... Lot to ask I know. It's cold out there...

Thanks;

Mike T

Reply to
Paul P

This is a bit extreme but put truck in garage and hook of a good tight hose to exhause to plumb exhaust outside of garage and seal door around hose to [revent exhaust backwash. Let truck run for a bit and it will heat up garage and you will be able to check out A/C operatio. (it is important to get a good seal on exhasut! extension).

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan