2000 Silverado Gas Guage woes

Hi I have a 2000 Silverado with the gas guage that moves alot. I am wondering if it is a ground or the the fuel level sensor inside the tank.

Symptoms:

When in park the guage moves between full and empty (also between full and a half) then when i put the truck in drive the guage will move to what seems to be its normal position. The guage moves when going up or down hills and sometimes around turns. Sometimes when I fill the truck up it will mark empty for the first couple of Kms on the highway.

When I am stopped at traffic lights for too long with my foot on the break, you can see the gas guage slowly making its way towards the full mark.

Questions:

How hard is it to test if it is the ground wire? Can I just run another ground into the one that is there? If I have to take down the tank how hard of job is it? Can the fuel sensor be changed without changing any other parts?

Note:

I did not look under truck yet to see where everything is located.

thanks for any information

Reply to
nevlis

My 2001 does the same thing. I have 2 friends, one owns a 2000, the other a 2001 theirs does the same thing. I think it's just a Chevrolet thing own these models. Something about the gas slushing around in the tank giving the sensor false reading. My fuel gauge will not properly read when it is full. When I fill her up the gauge might be half full, 3/4 full or most of the time empty. Also when in park it reads "E" also on the message center its says in BRIGHT ORANGE low fuel.

Reply to
Brian

Do you know if there is a solution for this?

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Brian) wrote in news:15241-41A2DEBD-496@storefull-

3334.bay.webtv.net:

Reply to
nevlis

My 2000 did that same thing around 90,000 km. GM replaced my sending unit under warranty and all is good.

Reply to
dwight

You will need to replace the sending unit.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Has anyone heard of a repair kit to fix the existing sending unit (their were hints of a repair kit on a couple of forums I visited)?

Can this part be bought for less from an aftermarket supplier?

I got a price quote from my local chevy dealer 218.00 + taxes Canadian

How hard is it to drop the tank? Will I need any special tools? Will I need to replace any other parts?

Thanks

"shiden_kai" wrote in news:uQbpd.324692$%k.105246@pd7tw2no:

Reply to
nevlis

I found this at

*25314460 Fuel Tank Meter Sender/Connector $74.68

it looks like the part that I may need?

Can anyone confirm...

2000 Silverado 4.3 thanks

Reply to