gas guage readings help???

i have a 94 grand prix(3.4) that has the economy,temp,mileage etc... read outs on the upper left hand side, when running low on gas the digital readout will start flashing "low fuel" before staying on whith conjunction with the low fuel trouble light comming on my dash display.my gas guage needle will falter rapidilly between 1/4 and empty quite often when getting below the 1/8 mark before the lights will start to come on,question is --which is probally more accurate between the economy readout fuel light and the low fuel on the dash display?? and when the lights come on-just what is the standard on this car for how much is still in the tank before it's really empty???

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Repeatedly running it that low on fuel is a great way to ruin your fuel pump in a hurry. Buy somne gas, cheapo. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

I bet you can't see how one follows another here, either.

and do run into having to make

If you keep running your tank dry, you're forcing all the crap in the bottom of the tank through your fuel pump, which will ruin it. Buy a few less Lunchables and keep the damn tank above 1/4 full. It's better to miss a few lunches than to pay for the repairs your car will need if you keep doing stupid crap like running your tank dry.

Incidentally, it's pretty pussy to ask for advice and then whine when you don't like the answer. Grow up.

Reply to
REP

C'mon GW......I run 250,000 miles without burning up a fuel pump. 17 gallon tank, I always put in 14 to 15.5 gallons per fill up.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~288,088 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Momma's Caddy illuminates low fuel when it has about 5 gallons left in the tank.

Her gas gauge is a digital bar graph. When three lines are left then the low fuel light will blink, thankfully we don't hear any ding ding dings like some cars.

If you've got the owners manual it may give a detail description of how your system is set up.

An 85 LeSabre we had also had a low fuel light that came on at 5 gallons left. I'd guess between 3 & 5 is the norm. At 3 gallons you got about another 80 + miles left to go.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~288,088 miles_~_~_

~_~_~_~_U.S.A._~_~_~_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

3 gallons for me is 25 miles if I'm lucky!

LOL!

Reply to
Dennis Smith

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

GW

At least there were not 357 replies to the original post !

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~289,131 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Reply to
Geoff Welsh