~2003 K2500HD rear end problems

I don't really know how to explain waht's going on, but sometimes, when I take off from a dead stop, the rear end seems to have some sort of slip or engaging problem. Like I said, it's a hard thing to explain, but there's something definately there. Does anyone else who drives one of the new Silverados experience the same feeling?? It ususally appears after travelling on the interstate, going down an off ramp then after coming to a complete stop, then when accellerating the rear end skips a beat or seems to slip.

I wish I coud explain this better, but I just don't know how to put it down in words.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Does it seem to happen when you turn? I have noticed this same issue in my

Reply to
tsh

do you have the locking rear differential option./ my 02 has that and it does make a similiar feel that you are describing. i believe it is a normal feeling for an auto locking rear diff.

Reply to
Zoom

Yup...Sounds like either a locking diff. issue or a trans issue! I doubt that it is anything to worry about because so many others are having the same situation!

Reply to
Shades

Try this, firstly, its easy and secondly a cheap fix if it works

I had the same noise on my 99 Z71 4X4, I was told by the knowledgeable people in here to take the drive shaft out and grease the splines in the slip yoke with a heavy high heat grease, I did it and it cured the problem, temporarily, then I had to grease it every few months

I was getting a god awful clunking type noise in the rear-end (sounds like the rear end is going to drop out) when I started from a dead stop and also when I came to a stop, It was ok when driving

If you grease your slip yoke and it cures the problem and your vehicle is still under manufactures warranty, take it back and get them to replace the slip yoke, there is a technical service bulletin out on that noise, they know all about it, they need to replace the slip yoke with a nickel plated one, the nickel plated yoke cost a freakin fortune, my warranty has run out, that's why I know what it cost to replace, $650.00 Canadian.

I emailed GMC and bitched at them, they blew me off telling me that my warranty was run out, nothing they could do. Its a factory fault

Hope that helps

Brian

Reply to
99 Z71 owner