clunking rear end 93 eb

I've been noticing a clunk in the rear end of my 93 EB 4X4. I had it up on stands and found that it seems to be coming from the rear wheels. When pushed in and pulled out they have some free play and make a clunk. I couldn't find much about this in past postings, so I was wondering if anybody could explain what causes this and how to fix this.

Thanks in advance

Joey

It doesn't sound like there's anything there that needs fixing... there will be a small amount of axial play in the axles. As you push the axle in, the end will bump up against the differential pin and pulling it out will involve the C clip, the axle groove and the recess in the side gear.

With the car up on the stands, check the U-joints for play, check to see if the pinion canbe moved up and down or in and out (the seal will usually be leaking by the time it gets to this point). Sounds like it might be time for a fluid change, anyway... look for any filings in the oil (there's a little "well" at the bottom edge of the opening - check in this well for any chunks). Check to see if there's any radila play between the axles and the side gear splines and also if the the spider pinions rock on the pin excessively.... If it's a limited slip, don't forget to add friction modifier when you refill.

I wish I could tell you exactly how much play is allowed where, but after this many years you just get a feel for what's OK and whats not...

Reply to
Jim Warman