Isuzu rear end slipping problems?

I have a '93 Isuzu Trooper LS 4X4 and recently it has started to feel like the rear end slips out of gear as I accelerate. Especially if I'm going around a corner or up an incline. I'm not sure it is the rear end but that's what it feels like. If I take my foot off the gas it seems to go right back into gear and once it warms up it doesn't seem to do it as much, if at all. Does anyone know if this is an easy/ inexpensive fix? I know, there isn't anything a\that's easy or inexpensive but I love this thing and I'm just trying to figure out whether to keep it and fix it or sell it.

Thanks in advance JRL

Reply to
Jrludi

If an automatic, check the condition and level of the fluid. If it smells like burnt toast, it is toast.

If it's a standard, suspect clutch problems.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain

Rear ends don't slip out of gear. If they do, its because the ring or pinion gear broke, and they'll never go "back into gear" again.

If I take my foot off the gas it

Sounds exactly like an automatic transmission that is running way low on fluid. If you're lucky, nothing has burned up yet. But a few more days of driving it like that will remove any chance of being lucky....

Reply to
Steve