335 CID (305 stroker) any opinions?

I've built several good 383's. They are a good choice for large 4X4's. Plenty of low end torque with the proper cam. They can get those 35 inch tires turning. I know alot are going to say why stroke a 305, spend that $ on a 5.7 block. Well, been there done that. Ive acumulated a few 5.0 factory roller cam blocks over time and I am in love with the roller cam blocks. Excelent for fast open and close ramps without valve train noise and wear. Don't want to haul them to the scrap yard. Has anyone had any real experience with a 305 stroker. How about some numbers with actual HP and TQ. I ran desktop dyno a couple times and got some funky numbers. HP was in line with what I thought it would be but the torque figures actually came in lower than the 305 factory ratings. My thinking is about a 9.7 compression,

191 heads and factory L98 grind with Tuned Port Induction. Small intake runners, small bore and mild port matching and smoothing should get a good cyl. fill. Got a set of type 3 24# injectors that should feed it. Who has any valid opinions? Oh yea, what about the lighter recriprocating(spell check) weight. Good for another 500 RPM over 383?
Reply to
David Johnson

If you are having problems, you need to "stroke" your axle ratio gearing rather than look for more power because if you are running 35's with stock gears you are hurting more than a stroked motor will cure properly. Slap in some 4.56's or 4.88's and you will find what you are seeking quickly.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Reply to
David Johnson

Sell em on Ebay!

Reply to
Shades

If your going to do a AWD Astro, might as well get the 96 UP MPFI "Vortec" intake & injection system. It will clear a lot better then a TPI set-up, even in pre-1994 Astro's Which have a shorter cowl to intake clearance then 95 up shells have. I have seen 94 MPFI 4.3 Vortec Astro's. They have just enough clearance. TPI in a pre-95 astro always means massauging the lower cowl section.

As for the stroker 305, If you got the time and money to do it right, heck it's worth a shot. Aftermarket cylinderheads will flow better on a stroker then stock heads. 1.90 on the intake valve, 1.50 or 1.55 on the exhuast side.

Get a TPIS Cam, use H-beam rods, and good F-M pistons. Bump your compression ratio up to 10:1 or 10.2:1.

And if your really looking to do it right, I beleave a 88 and up 4L60

1/2 ton transfercase (I don't now the numbers) will bolt in. Giving you real 4WD with low range. Also look up Overland Vans. They make lift kits up to 8 inches for AWD Astro's. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
David Johnson

The simple ducting issue is to get a 96 up Ram Air inlet box from a Firebird with the WS6 package. Fit it to the hood, and make a freash air inlet in the hood. Either drill it, or use a medium mesh. With a modified hood bra, no one will ever look close enough.

Charles Who Me? I wouldn't know a sleeper if I was driving one.

Reply to
Charles Bendig