> What is the horsepower and torque for a Chevy 350 cu. in. / 5.7 L?

What is the horsepower and torque for a Chevy 350 cu. in. / 5.7 L?

the make and model is a 2 ton chevy truck , year 1988 5.7 L -- wanting to build motor for a bomber stock car- i need to know if hp will get me started? thanks

Reply to
jordan.lake84

Not really sure what a 2 ton chevy is, so I'm assuming you meant 1/2 ton. It would have the 210HP TBI 5.7L 2 bolt main cast crank in all probability. The condition and maintenance of the engine kind of matters a lot, although if it was me I'd want a forged steel crank 4 bolt main 350 to build a competition stock car engine as a starting point. Don't know what a "bomber" stock car is either, but if it means crap with minimum dollar layout and build, with just a short life then your engine is OK. If you mean the opposite, I'd start with something else.

Reply to
Augustus

If this is a 2 ton truck, it likely has a carb and a 4 bolt main block and is rated at 165 HP at 3800 RPM and 275 ft lbs @ 1600 RPM . If it is a 1/2 ton, it has TBI fuel injection it is rated at 210 HP @ 4000 RPM and 300 FT LBS @ 2800 and a 3/4ton or heavy model with TBI is rated at 190 HP @ 4000 RPM and 300 Ft LBS @ 2400 RPM. THe ratings on the TBI engines are misleading though because they die out above 3500 RPM or so struggled off by a restrictive intake and cam timing. The plus is though this same restrictive intake gives high mixture velocities and good low RPM torque and responce. You can wind them higher than 3500 but toirque starts to fall off rapidly. THere is also some missconceptions about the 2 bolt/4 bolt block thing. Unless you plan to push over 400 HP or so and wind it above 6000 a lot or supercharge it with a good bit of boost, the 2 bolt block and stock crank will hold up fine. The small block has never been known for a weak bottom end even in 2 bolt flavor. I nice cheap trick to do with a

350 is to gether a 400 SB crank and have the main journals turned down to match 350 size and use 400 rods and stock 350 pistons and the result is a 377 and it makes good torque. You need a 400 SB dampner and flex plate or flywheel because the 400 is externaly balanced. Bore it out .30 ove and you have about a 383. This is not to be confuced with a 383 crate motor because it use a non standard stroke and pistions. (not same stroke as a 400 SB). Throuch is a warm came with around 260 duration and a better intake and you will be looking at 300 HP plus by 4500 RPM or so with good low end torque and a good stump puller.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan