4-wheel drive

The 4-wheel drive will not shift into front wheel drive. Light indicator will not light. But it will go into low range.

Reply to
engineer1

Shep

LOL, Shep....

Reply to
Steve Mackie

My tahoe got stuck in 4WD and my mechanic has to change a part in the system. My 4WD light stayed on all the time. I won't get the truck back til next week. Your not the only on with the problem. I don't know how much its going to cost yet.

Reply to
mike485

The problem is not so unusual with these electric switch driven 4WD systems. This goes for all manufacturers. Oh for the old manual locking hubs and transfer case lever. At least they always worked.

Reply to
Mellowed

I have a 00 4x4 Silverado too, 64,000 miles now...

My service 4x4 light came on too, 2.5 years ago.....

Problem was cold solder joints in the 4x4 push button

switches on the dash.... Warranty covered problem.

4 button switch replacement.... Either buy the $50

button switch or resolder the switch 'bad' wire joints.

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

I would LOVE to have manual lock ins on a 99 Jimmy, or even a full time transfer case like the 77 trucks did

Reply to
Adam

Sounds like the encoder motor took a crap on ya. be glad it wasnt the control module (under dash right side behind kick panel) thats about a 500 part from GM. Good luck finding someone with that part used.

Reply to
Adam

This could be a long shot, but on my 99 Jimmy, there is a Vaccum switch for the front end under neath the battery, and the vaccum line running to it could have gotten melted or broken or somthing, never know. I would check the vaccum to it before taking to a dealer.

Reply to
Adam