4 wheel drive

i have a 1998 f-250. my 4-wheel drive will not engage. the shifter will be in the correct position and the 4-wheel indicator will come on. is there something electrical or vacume opperated that inables it to engage?

Reply to
steven1

I have a 98 (11/97) F250 Super Duty. There is no vac. control on it. Do you have the original Lock-Out hubs on the front axle or automatic hubs? If unfamiliar with the truck, you may need to "Lock" your "Lockout Hubs"

My way to check 4x4 operation is to get all 4 tires off the ground, have someone in the truck engage 4x4 with brakes on, then release. Make sure they reapply brakes, and speedometer is at zero before shifting to neutral or park.

Reply to
djdave

Why do you feel the 4WD is not engaged?

Also, do you have manual hubs that require you to get out and turn a dial on the front axle to lock the hubs in? (I do not think this is standard fitment on your truck, but it is an option that a previous owner might have put on.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The electric shift on the fly system (switch on dash, not lever on floor) has vacuum operated automatic hubs that are very trouble prone. The manual system has manual hubs that must be dialed in.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Avoid typing the same text again and again Stop wasting your time on mouse movements Open favorite web pages with a single hotkey press Record keystrokes and play them back with a single hotkey press

------------------------------

Save yourself from repetitive tasks

Reply to
Per1000IPDay6

I stand corrected. I was 100% sure that vacuum shift on the fly was NOT available on any F250 in 1997/1998.

I do remember something of a electronic shift on the fly.

Reply to
djdave

That's for the Superduty, I can't speak to earlier. The Superduty auto hubs can be dialed manually to "lock: as well, but a '98's is probably seized up good.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo