4L80E ATF question

I was talking to a guy last night, who owns a company specializing in diesel power and I happened to mention that when I did my last ATF and filter change, I put back in Mobil 1 synthetic. He recommended me to do what I could to get it out and recommended several drain/refills over the next few weeks in order to dillute it, at best.

He mentioned that the slippage due to the high torque motor only increased with a synthetic oil on the clutches and would produce more heat. Due to this, he had suggested to me to drain/refill like I mentioned above and to add "Lube Guard," which was in it, as I am told, from the factory.

What are your opinions on this? I talked to another guy, locally, that rebuilds for a living (and is top notch in my opinion) and he said he hadn't heard this before. Gary, Ian, whoever is a rebuilder, tech., manufacturer - what's your take?

Thanks, Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

. . .

4L80E ATF question Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Nov 11, 2003, 7:09am (CST+1) From: somethingorotherdotcom (Snowman) I was talking to a guy last night, who owns a company specializing in diesel power and I happened to mention that when I did my last ATF and filter change, I put back in Mobil 1 synthetic. He recommended me to do what I could to get it out and recommended several drain/refills over the next few weeks in order to dillute it, at best. He mentioned that the slippage due to the high torque motor only increased with a synthetic oil on the clutches and would produce more heat. Due to this, he had suggested to me to drain/refill like I mentioned above and to add "Lube Guard," which was in it, as I am told, from the factory. What are your opinions on this? I talked to another guy, locally, that rebuilds for a living (and is top notch in my opinion) and he said he hadn't heard this before. Gary, Ian, whoever is a rebuilder, tech., manufacturer - what's your take? Thanks, Snowman ======= ======= Snow, Lube Gaurd DOES NOT come in it from the factory. Boy.....wouldn't that make fer good advertisement for them. As far as the Mobile 1 fluid..... can't say.....haven't used it in a 4l80E, and I haven't seen any bulletins on it from ATRA. I can tell you that I've used synthetic in most of the late model overdrives at one time or another, because of customer insistance on it. I haven't seen a problem with it yet.

I will defer to GG and Shiden for a better hands on recomendation for you.

The main concern would be compatability with the clutch material composition, and the friction characteristics of the Mobile 1.

Thinks me will be doing some research today... don't want a customer asking that and not haveing an answer aye.......

looking forward to the other coments, Marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

"Snowman" wrote

manufacturer -

I'll also defer to whatever Gary has to say on the matter. I do not do much with automatics....whereas he works on them day in and day out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai