Good motors, etc. used in Saab 900 & 9000 ?

I'm thinking about getting a Saab. I've been driving Volvo 240's for 9 years, and my current seems be due for retirement with 375,000 mi. driven (several major problems now, needing big money to fix).

What are the good engines for Saabs? I'm looking for a long-lasting motor. I'm used to Volvo motors that go to 300 or 400,000 miles. Will I find the same in Saab?

I looked at a '90 Saab 9000 with 2 liter Turbo engine today, with

5-speed standard. The motor had been replaced from a junker due to the oil light coming on. "New" motor supposedly has 90,000 miles on it, the car has 177 K miles.

Problems to watch for? Any other tips?

Thanks in advance, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Pick

Hi Bruce I can only comment on the 9000 Saabs, ive never owned a 900.

But engine 90K-120K cam chains seem to start to give up the ghost. Dirt in the oil will cause the cam's to go sticky and slappy. Keep the oil changes to the book - vital for a long life of engine. The car itself at that sort of mileage I would suspect that the suspension would need to be replaced and most of the "rubber bushes" are probably on their last legs -but they aren't expensive nor difficult to change, you can get poly ones, as after market replacements -these are mainly designed for the racing market so it would make for a slightly harder and noisier ride but much better handling and I think you could fit and forget as that job would never need doing again. Engine mounts, the top ones don't last long, too much torque - so I would personally go for the poly ones here, slight increase in vibration (small) in the steering column and (even smaller) through the body work, but it worth it, as the tighter feel (and smother and easier gear changes) in the driving is a definite plus. Watch the other mounts (gearbox and the viscous ones). I replaced the gearbox one with a poly and there was a distinct increase in the vibration in the car as a result but at least it wont fail for at least 3 yrs if at all. The clutch is a pain to do, as is replacing the slave unit as its in the bellhousing.You can know the slave is getting knackered, when the clutch gets very heavy. Check the CV's, although ive not had any problems with either of mine. Most other jobs are fairly easy to do as its not all crammed in, unlike some cars. They were built to last so I recon they are good for about 1/2 million Km's at least.

As for that particular car "go with your gut feelings" - if you doubt the car, don't do it, you will never be happy with it. You could always get the AA man to check it out for you. Chris

"Bruce Pick" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
chris

"chris" skrev i en meddelelse news:cdt55o$lmp$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

Rubbish! Unless you get the 2,3-litre engine from modelyear 89-92 (incl), there won't be any probs with the chains for at least 250.000 kilometres..

Leave the top motormounts as they are - rubber. And only change the gearbox mount for at poly one. This will improve shifting radically. Saab Redline fully synthetic gearoil will also improve the shifting. Also, chaning only the gearbox mount for a poly won't increase vibrations.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Well the cam chain issue has not been my experience 9000i 89 9000cse

93 nor that of (granted only a few) other 9000 owners I have known, the age range seems to by much larger. By the way the K was Miles not Km's. so your 250Km is in the region of very noisy from my and my friends experiences. we all changed them out once the started making noises out of the ordinary, cheaper than new engine :¬).

The gearbox/top mounts, Henrik yours is a different approach and as your happy with the results im not about to criticize it, I was working from my own experience, which was to try the tops as they failed first and then when the gbox one gave out I did the logical thing. I most defiantly do not proclaim to be a god of 9000's.

Was Saab Redline fully synthetic gearoil fitted as standard ? or is it an extra ?

Chris

ghost.

kilometres..

through

chaning only

Reply to
chris

"chris" skrev i en meddelelse news:ce08kh$6hr$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk...

The top mount is a perfect indicator for when the other mounts needs to be changed. The top mounts are th weakest ones, so when they start to crack, it's a sign that the ones at the bottom needs changing. :o)

The Redline oil wasn't a standard-fill. It onlt cam out 4 or 5 years ago - fitted on all newer and recent Saabs. The're been a lot og discussion on the net, as the 9000 cannot use a fully-synthtic gearoil. BUT, the factory actually recommends this, also for all 9000 models. All dealers are adviced on this and I have a very good contact, working at the tech-department of the factory (I'm in Denmark), and he told me to do it, as it would make a much better shifting-experience. And I must certainly say that it has! It is, however, strongly adviced to flush the gearbox, when you're changing from the mineral to the synthetic. Drain all the old oil, and fill only 1 (one!) litre of the Redline. Drive the car for 6-7 miles (10-12 km) - no speeding, as there isn't much oil in the box to cool. Return home or to the garage and drain the gearbox again. Now, fill it - according to the manual - with the Redline. You'll notice the difference immediately.

Be adviced: It MUST be the original Saab Redline oil. (I can find the parts-# if you want it.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Thanks Henrik

I think I will get it done on the next dealer service. As it may save me from the dreaded gearbox failure mins done 90K miles.

Chris

discussion on the

factory

tech-department of

changing

km) - no

Reply to
chris

Henrik:

Is this true for all Saab tranny's ? I thought a lot of folks were using a generic Redline product?

Reply to
- Bob -

I'm running BG Synchroshift in my 1992 900. Seems to work very well.

John

Reply to
John B

"- Bob -" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

We're talking manual 9000 gearboxes here. You can use a generic Redline oil in the auto-boxes. But as I mention, a fully-synth oil isn't normally adviced for the manual 9000 boxes. Must have to do with the composition of the Saab oil.

For the 9-5, 9-3 gearboxes, I believe you can use a generic Redline oil, as these boxes are made for use with synth oil.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

To clarify: synchroshift is a fully synthetic MTF which is an appropriate replacement for the non-synth engine oil with which Saab manual transmissions used to be filled...

John

Reply to
John B

transmissions

For how long have you been using this oil?

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Why are you using the term "Saab Redline oil" when the Saab MTF 0063 oil has no relation to any gearbox oil from Redline?

Reply to
Goran Larsson

For the last 6 months or so. My mechanic (specializing in Saabs/Volvos) recommended it to me. It is, I think, comparable to the synthetic Saab sells these days. FWIW, the synthetic made a big difference shifting in 1st and 2nd when it was cold out.

John

Reply to
John B

"Goran Larsson" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@approve.se...

Just thought it was named Redline, as a referral to the color - my mistake. But I'm of course talking about the oil you're mentioning.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

Redline is a brand of engine and gear oils and cooling products. There is a Redline MTF that would probably work just as well.

I used Halfords brand MTF in the rating that their little flip chart recommended for my c900, and it is fine,a nd hasn't leaked a drop, which is better than the engine manages.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo