Help with Clank noise

I have a '78 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup which usually makes a very noticable clank when starting from a stand still. It feels like an engine or transmission mount shift. The trans. and transfer case appear tight when pushing it, but have not done any extensive diagnostics. It does not do it all the time, but most of the time. Everything else appears OK.

Can anyone suggest a possible cause.

Thanks, Larry

Reply to
LarryK-58GH

. . . . Help with Clank noise Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Nov 11, 2003, 12:50pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (LarryK-58GH) I have a '78 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup which usually makes a very noticable clank when starting from a stand still. It feels like an engine or transmission mount shift. The trans. and transfer case appear tight when pushing it, but have not done any extensive diagnostics. It does not do it all the time, but most of the time. Everything else appears OK. Can anyone suggest a possible cause. Thanks, Larry ======= =======

u-joints engine mounts tranny mount loose tranny crossmember bolts loose eng. mount bolts shackle springs broken controll arm bushings deteriortated differential sloppy brake caliper loose brake shoe hardware busted tranny bell housing cracked slop in the transfer case cracked frame body welds broken beer bottles rolling around lug wrench flopping against something spare tire not secured

jest to name a few.........

mm ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Joseph Marley or your slip yoke

Reply to
18436572

all so check the nuts on the tork convertor and oil in dif's for metal

Reply to
John

I had a socket extension rolling back and forth in the channel under my radiator once. Drove me crazy for a long damn time!

Reply to
Slash

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll start checking all the things mentioned.

Thanks a lot.

LarryK-58GH wrote:

Reply to
LarryK-58GH