4x4 gas mileage question

If you have a 4x4 but do not have it locked in. Would you get the same mileage on that truck if it was 2x2 only? Would a 4x4 not locked in truck get the same gas mileage as a 2x2 only truck. explain this to me if you will. Thanks

Reply to
Toby

My guess is that it would be close but slightly less... if nothing else, the weight of the transfer case, etc.. Probably more moving parts?

We just took a 1,200 mile round trip in our 95 blazer and got almost 22 mpg... don't know what a 2wd blazer would get...

Mac

mac davis

Well 4x4's weight more so there is some MPG penalty there, Next thy tend to have a higher profill and more loss from drag and last most do not fully decouple front axle whih adds more drag. Dodge is by far the worse one here on this because they removed axle disconnect on all models around 2003 to cut production costs but increase your fuel costs so if you want best possible MPG with a gas 4x4, do not by a Dodge because the front axle (ring pinion and driveshaft) is always turn and sucking some power to do it

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I found a infinity Qx4 it is a 03. It has 4x4 my daughter don't need that. My questions is wonder if it will matter by gas mileage either way.

Reply to
Toby

Same deal with a car, more moving parts and weight so there will be a penalty. If you want max possible MPG average get a 2wd car or truck with 2wd front wheel drives leading the pack here (lowest drivetrain power losses)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

,

'weigh'

.

'they'

'profile'

,

'which'

Cite?

'turning'

These totally anecdotal comments brought to you by;

Snojob

Reply to
aarcuda69062

You forgot to add that these inmature attempts by yourself (aarcuda69062) to belittle someone clearly shows how insecure you really are. I actually feel sorry for you sometimes.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
Frank S.

How does correcting your errors equal insecurity?

By your logic, all school teachers are insecure.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

anybody have a free site to check a VIN #. To see SUV history. Hell it may have come from Baahayuuuu Mississippi Hurrican car..

Reply to
Toby

i ave. 17-18 at cruzin speeds back and forth from work running around 60 m.p.h 38 miles one way to work. taking back roads from raleigh to butner.

04 gmc sierra extended cab 4x4.
Reply to
Charles H.

:::: These totally anecdotal comments brought to you by; :::: :::: Snojob ::: ::: ::: You forgot to add that these inmature attempts by yourself ::: (aarcuda69062) to belittle someone clearly shows how insecure you ::: really are. I actually feel sorry for you sometimes. :: :: How does correcting your errors equal insecurity? :: :: By your logic, all school teachers are insecure.

OK, you got him. We all get the point. Now will you stop these childish cuts on Snoman? Just contribute an answer to the OP, and keep your opinion. All of us are wrong sometimes. (I'm sorry I don't have an answer to toss out there for the OP.)

Reply to
George

No George you don't.

George, pay attention for a minute. The info that this guy spew's out a goodly portion of the time is wrong! He seems to be floating between news groups posting misleading and wrong info to the unsuspecting. If one were to apply this incorrect advice or procedures there is a very good chance of a broken part or at worst case a injury. Actually you should be thanking "aarcuda" for putting enough heat on him to cause him to take a break from this ng. Of course now that he's out here, we have him over in the dodge truck group.

Reply to
Roy

No you need to pay attention as the stuff you spew is realy garbage. You seem to have issues with someone maybe knowing something that you do not and it makes you really insecure (moreso if it is from certain sources) and you try to make yourself feel better by attacking the source Roy. You may have a few other with same problem as yours on your side (like a small pack of vultures) but others see you for what you are and if you want them to comtinue to see you that way just stay the course. (which you likely will as like a spoil brat you are quite predictable)

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Really?? If that is the case why don't you prove me wrong? Why don't you answer the question's based on YOUR WRONG answer in the V-10 thread?

For anybody interested, you can google that thread. It was titled "V10 poor towing performance" dated 8/20/2006 at alt.autos.dodge.trucks. Or if you want you can go to the aforementioned ng and ask about this fool, the stories are endless

What I have is issues with YOU continueing to post false and misleading info.

A few other's? An entire newsgroup you mean. Looks like I'm in good company then.

(like a small pack of vultures) but others see you for what

Yup, I do hope others see me for what I am. What you gotta hope for is that other's here don't see you for what you are. But, I think they are starting to get the picture.

You are correct, I am predictable when it comes to your bs. Oh, along those lines let me be predictable with your sig and make it correct again.

There ya go! Fit's ya to a"T" don't ya think?

Reply to
Roy

Garbage? No. Not very flattering for you, but he's simply speaking the truth.

You must be daft. The entire issue is 180 degrees from how you perceive it as evidenced by the above remark. It's real simple; stop putting such half assed effort into your posts. Either post correct information or shut the f*ck up. In the event that you can't shut the f*ck up and someone calls you on it and PROVES you wrong, be a man and have the balls to admit your error.

You're just a one man campaign to further the dumbing down of America, aren't you Snoflake? Yes, "moreso from certain sources" when those certain sources tend to be more often than not, full of BS.

Maybe you should spend a little less time psycho-analyzing, and a little more time familiarizing yourself with torque specs, emissions warranties, emission LAW, knock sensors, fuel pressure regulators, air conditioning. ignition timing, gasoline, octane ratings, spelling, punctuation, sentence composition, etc, etc, etc. Or, maybe not since it appears that you've convinced yourself that you know all there is to know and the rest of us should conform to your idea of what is acceptable.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It's got nothing to do with 'getting him.'

I really don't think you do.

You like being steered in the wrong direction? You like being given erroneous information?

I guess to those who are totally baffled every time they open the hood of their vehicle, Snojobs answers must seem like a wealth of knowledge. Then there are a few of us who do this day in, day out for a living. We have hundreds and hundreds of hours of factory training, thousands of hours of general training. We have committed ourselves to the time, money and effort to master our trade. We have to perform to standards that aren't even expected in the medical professions. We get paid according to what we accomplish, not according to how we feel or simply because we showed up. Someone explain to me why I should turn a blind eye to this or any other buffoon wannabe?

Okay. The answer to the OPs question is, no.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

How does the Dodge situation differ from the GM and Ford?

My 99 Tahoe (in 2X) puts the transfer case in 2 hi and disconnects the passenger side front wheel from its output shaft. The driver side output shaft still turns with the wheel along with the guts of the diff and I believe the input shaft.

Aren't similar year Fords are similar in design?

Reply to
News Skimmer
*

Well Said SnoMan! ! ! ! ! !