Towbar plans?

I'm looking to weld up a tobar and am looking for some plans. Specifically, I'm wondering what to make the thing out of. I'm a weldor by trade and have access to 1x2, 2x2, and 1.5x1.5 inch tubing. I'm just wondering which one I should use. The towed vehicle is 3200 lbs.

I was thinking that the 1x2 would be fine and would work out well with the size of the ball hitch. I think I have some 1x2 in the shop that is 14 ga. How stout does this thing need to be?

Reply to
Weldman

Class III hitches use a lot stouter materials than your list contains.

Take a look at a commercially available hitch for ideas.

Reply to
billy ray

OK so how stout of a material does this thing need to be made out of?

I would assume that 2x2x1/4 would be overkill, but what would be acceptable?

Reply to
Weldman

I think 2x2 tube or 2 inch pipe, or larger, is probably about what the store bought hitches use.

You can see typical construction at any auto parts store or specific information in many parking lots. Go take a look.

Reply to
billy ray

Best person to ask in this group would be Nathan Collier. I put a ping in the subject so he should be along shortly.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

14 gauge isnt nearly thick enough to provide adequate lateral support in the even of an emergency evasive manuever at highway speeds. you might be able to get away with 11 gauge, but since you share the roads with my wife and kids im not comfortable with that either. i would recommend 3/16" minimum with bracing.
Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

thanks doug!

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

So what dimention tubing should I make it out of?

I think the maximum diameter that will go into the ball coupler is

2-1/2"

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

Reply to
Weldman

with a little lateral bracing i think the 1x2 would be just fine, if you can get it in 3/16". im sure 2x2 would be fine. i even see towbar setups made out of 2x2 3/16" angle iron. what do you have in mind for your connection point (which will be the weakest link anyway)?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
RoyJ

I ended up making a "T" from 2"x2" 11ga and then placed some

2-1/2x2-1/2x 1/4 angle to connect the ends of the crosmember to the tubing right behind the coupler. Basically it formed a triangle with a piece of tubing right down the middle. It's pretty stout and probably weighs about 40 lbs., so I'm in business and towed a Volvo home the other day with it.

RoyJ wrote:

Reply to
Weldman

Reply to