87 V20 starting trouble

I have had a problem with my 87 V20 4x4 not starting. I have replaced the battery, starter and ignition switch and it still won't start. What am I overlooking? I didn't see any fuses in the fuse block that looked like they were involved in starting. There is voltage to the headlights but not to the dash when turning the key.

I would stop trying if I didn't love this old truck so much. Thanks in advance.

Jake

Reply to
jake292

P.S. I forgot to mention.

When I say won't start, I mean not turning at all, no click from starter, no fuel pump whirr, nothing.

Sorry for the P.S.

Thanks aga> I have had a problem with my 87 V20 4x4 not starting. I have replaced

Reply to
jake292

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
jake292

Check the fuse-able links. Check the battery cables. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
69SScamaro

Nope, no dash lights. No responce from at all while turning the key; Acc, Run, Start, nothing. I will say, when this all started, I was in the truck about the fire it up when, the volt gauge started jumping around. From no voltage to max voltage a few times, then nothing.

Any thought about voltage regulator? Could that have gone bad and take the fusable link with it?

Thanks. Jake

69SScamaro wrote:
Reply to
jake292

Voltage regulator couldn't make the gauge jump up if it was not running. If it jumped when off it probably was a spike as the fusable link burned out. If there was something shorted it would have drawn a lot of current and as the fusable link blew it would have probably caused a spike from the high current flow stopping suddenly. I would measure voltage from all the points. Check for voltage to all of the fuses not as much for a blown fuse but to see which circuits are missing voltage. Remember to turn on key so they should all have voltage present.

Reply to
69SScamaro

Is the fusible link on the starter switch to starter motor wire in the cab or in the engine compartment? It seems to be well hidden, after looking and testing for some time I cannot find it. Will keep trying but, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

69SScamaro wrote:
Reply to
jake292

OK, what's a V20? You said you have had a problem. What fixed it before? Or did it get worse? Was it raining? Or damp conditions? What about the plug going thru the firewall? How about brake lights? Flashers?

Reply to
Bill

1988 Old Body trucks went from being C/K's to R/V's. V-20 would be a 4WD 3/4 Ton. R/V trucks go from 1988 to 1991. Charles
Reply to
Charles Bendig

I could see why he would want to keep it. Thanks for the info. Shame they do not make them like they used to.

Reply to
Bill

Got it!! The fusible links were fine. Frustrated, I disconnected the wires from the starter and pulled them out of the harness all the way back to the fuseblock. The wire that feeds voltage to the fuseblock had corroded so badly that it broke off. So, no starter signal, no fuel pump, no fan, no radio.

Thanks every> I have had a problem with my 87 V20 4x4 not starting. I have replaced

Reply to
jake292

They do corrode behind there pretty bad. So it's running now ? Good job...

Reply to
69SScamaro

Well, it's not running just yet. After a couple days looking I found the correct terminal end that would seat into that monster plug. Now, I'm trying to clean all the light green powder from that location on the fuse block where that plug connects. I called around about a new fuse block but, the dealership doesn't have any info before 1992 and the salvage yards I've been to don't have the years that would work. I'm hoping that the block is something that I can take apart and replace that terminal socket for a better connection.

69SScamaro wrote:
Reply to
jake292

Ok, I fixed the broken wire in the plug that brings power to the fuse block as well as the connector within the fuse block that said wire couples with. I finally have power to the starter switch but now it goes dead when I turn the key to run or start. I do have power in acc. It is a brand new switch and just to see, I tested the old switch with the same result. I've been told it's probably the ACSU/ECU. Which seems to make sense, electrical short kills ECU. What do you guys think? Is there a way to test my ACSU?

jake292 wrote:

Reply to
jake292