93 suburban 3rd row seat mounts

I just got a 3rd row seat from a salvage yard along with the seat belt harnesses that hang from the roof. My truck never had a 3rd row seat, but the 2nd row had flip-up things for it and I noted that the roof had plates over where the seat belts would hang from. My assumption was that under the carpet was mounting points for the seat, but I was wrong.

The salvage yard had removed everything for me before I got there (!) and so I really didn't look at the truck it came from. I looked at mine and while there is absolutely nothing where the rear of the seat would hook in, there are caps around where the front of the seat would hook in, and under those caps are body-to-frame mounts.

I'm thinking now that to do this the right way, I'd have to replace some or all of the bed of the suburban and weld in one that was setup for a 3rd row seat. It's also possible that there's just a frame mounted on the floor that the seat hooks into. Does anyone have a 3rd row on an early 90's suburban and know how it hooks in? I'm not sure if it's another part I can get from the junk yard or if I'll have to custom fabricate a frame to mount it to. Had I removed the parts from the truck myself, I'd of noticed how it was hooked in, but no such luck.

Thanks,

--Jeff

Reply to
JeffH

I wish I could help you more. I have a 89 old body style burb with a third seat (your body style started in 92) and I know how it mounts in. It has "sockets" bolted into floor pan that seat fits into and locks down very securely. This way when it is removed, floor is flush. Seat belts are attached to seat and two shoulder belts are attached to body above windows on side of vehicle. These days my seat is out more than in.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I had a '94 K1500 with the 3rd row....there's a steel rod recessed in a deep pocket in the floor mount that the latching assembly on the seat grabs and locks in place to. I suppose it could be fabbed, but you'd need one for a model and how it's mounted I don't know. My suggestion would be to find a parts vehicle.

Reply to
Augustus

The salvage yard was extremely helpful (unfortunately they are an hour away from me). They said that there are sockets set in the floor to mount the seat into. They recommended that the sockets be cut out, and then welded into place on my truck. They said they could cut them out with a large lip so that I could just cut a small hole for the actual well and let the lip overlap and be welded into place. It sounded like a good plan, so I'm going to go that route.

I've got 3 kids, a dog, occasional guests, and tons of junk when we go camping with our travel trailer, so the 3rd seat will help out a lot this coming summer.

Thanks for the information so far. Let me know if I'm off base with my plan - but it sounded more secure than building a frame to fit on the floor to hook the seat to. I want to ensure that it will perform well in the event of an accident, just in case.

--Jeff

Reply to
JeffH