96' Chevy K3500 454 automatic stalled

Hello there-

Got my brakes fixed, all is well with them. But now...

...on my way home tonight, everything was working great, AC was blowing hard, radio on, charging my cell phone, cruise control on, etc., all the normal stuff.

And all of a sudden the truck stalled, just for a quick second. So short of a time that the cruise control didn't even notice that the truck was shut off. The truck even came back to life. The clock on the radio needed set to the correct time again, though. Then everything was good for a couple more miles.

Then, it did it again, only this time it stalled completely. It is dead. When I would turn the key to the off position there was a sound like Morris code, but I couldn't pin-point where exactly it was coming from. All I know is that it was under the dash somewhere. When I turned the key to the on position the Morris code sound quit and the light telling me what gear I was in came on. But, if I tried to start it the light would go off. I get nothing at all, no radio, fan, dome light, under hood light, nothing.

I got pulled about a mile to a car pool place and the speedometer didn't move at all the entire ride. The odometer didn't move either. There was no signs of life anywhere.

I took the battery out of it and had it tried in another vehicle and it started right up immediately.

Is there a fuse somewhere that could cause this? computer problem? something easy?

What is the problem? I think this truck is cursed, if it's not one thing, it's another.

Any ideas would be great, the truck is an hour away from my house parked and I need it for work.

Thanks.

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim

David Norris

Ground straps is better than a fried computer.

The morris code sound was coming from somewhere under the steering column, under the dash. Isn't the computer on the other side? I guess that doesn't matter, but.

I will check it out more today.

Thanks.

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim

"mudmantim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

If you are completely doa I would check for a burned out fusible link. Just look for a charred wire. If you find nothing then with a volt meter check all of your battery cables. Make sure you have a O (zero) ohm reading from the battery ground to the engine block, then make sure you have 12.6 volts to the starter. The start checking the 12/10 gauge wires that come from the starter to the fuse block (wires go into the cab under the master cylinder). I suspect you will find a fried fusible link. In my life I have replaced several on the three cars that I have owned so it is more common then you would think. When you find it just cut it out, take it to the local dealer and they will sell you a new one (less then $5) the only catch when you install it you have to be very careful not to cut any of the wire strands because that will reduce the amp capacity. Just use a crimp connection and lots of tape. Since everything died (radio lights ect I doubt it is the computer) and the reason I suspect it is the main link. Just trace it up from the starter. Bruce Campbell once told a story about a Buick he owned. he said that it was the worse car he ever owned. Over the years he dumped tons of money into the car and finally got tired of it and sold it to a friend. Years later he talked to the friend who subsequently told him the Buick was the best car he ever owned. The jest of the story, there are only so many parts in a car, eventually you will have worked your way through the whole truck and it will be brand new again. Just hang in there....

good luck, mark

Reply to
r_d

When I got the truck it had a long ass list of things that were replaced in and on it. Mechanical, electrical, suspension, just tons of stuff. Since then, I have replaced the engine, fuel injectors, transmission, entire brakes and a whole ton of other things.

By the time we make it through the whole truck the first parts replaced will start to fail and it will just continue.

But, I had the truck looked at this morning. They put the battery back in and it started right up, drove it home and there has been no problem with it at all. No signs of any problems either.

Could this be the ignition module over heating? I seem to remember something like this happening on one of our other cars a few years ago.

Thanks.

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim

Ok, the truck has ran ever since. They replaced one of the battery connectors for the positive (I have 2). The one that they replaced was fried. They say that this is the fix and it won't do it again.

What do you think?

I know older vehicles only use the battery to turn the starter. You can start one and then remove the battery all together and drive all you want, as long as you don't shut the vehicle off.

They said that newer automobiles with computers won't allow that anymore. You have to have the battery hooked up, because the computer runs, somewhat, off of it.

Is this true?

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim

Yes, I had an 00 silverado where the battery terminal pulled out of the side of the battery. I jumped it off and drove away with one cable disconnected. The guages were spiking all over the place and about a mile later the engine died. Gary explained the phenomena very well at some point and it was something to the effect that the new alternators require the battery to be present to act as a capacitor and reduce voltage spikes. I am not an EE so that is the best I can remember. The short version is always have a battery connected. I was lucky as I didn't have a fried ECU, but I will never do that again.

HTH,

Derek

Reply to
genius

Huh, thanks. I guess that makes sense.

Thanks Derek.

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim

I didn't mean "Huh", I meant "Ahh".

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim

Tim,

Check out this thread. I had a similar issue and the folks here explained much better than I ever could.

snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com+battery+silverado

Reply to
genius

Derek-

I says: "Not Found The requested URL /%C2%ADgroup/alt.autos.4x4.chevy-truc%C2%ADks/browse_frm/thread/f2196e54c%C2%AD5c3f579?tvc=1&q= snipped-for-privacy@socal.rr.com+battery+silverado was not found on this server."

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim

Sorry, was hoping that would work. Try this!

genius

Yeah, that one worked. Makes a lot of sense now. Never would of thought it true, but I believe it now.

Thanks for the info Derek.

-Tim

Reply to
mudmantim