96 S10 Blazer Key Problems

For the past week, I couldn't get the key out of the ignition on my 96 S10 blazer. I finally removed the tumbler and was able to get my key out, but when the tumbler is in, it won't release its grip. The tumbler looks ok, and the tumblers fall/rise correctly with it out of the vehicle, but as soon as I put the tumbler in, the key has trouble going in and coming out.

Not sure, but I think there's a position that I'm missing here in the switch... Anyone know how many I should have? I thing I have RUN, START, and and "off" position. Should there be more on this vehicle? I can't seem to remember.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reply to
superjewboy

There should be five positions, going clock wise they are:

ACC LOCK OFF RUN START

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Crap.

So my problem is likely a bad ignition switch then?

Reply to
SuperJew

Hmm... Thinking even more on that, It's likely that the reason I cant get the key out is that it isn't going in to the lock position. What would cause it to do that?

Could it be related to me replacing the multifunction switch?

Reply to
SuperJew

There is some sort of interlock that prevents you from removing the key unless the vehilce is in park. Maybe that interlock is buggered.

Reply to
Steve Mackie