96 Surburban 1500 4x4 Radiator woes

Can these be repaired if the tanks start leaking? I'm not positive the Plastic tanks can be resealed to the core. What is the best route to take as far as buying a new one? AutoZone etc or any online wholesalers etc? Thanks ...

Reply to
philc37388

Shep

I once put a modine radiator in an 89 S10, and it ran a little cooler, and a lifetime warranty. No issues. Had to go to a radiator shop to buy.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff in Atl

====== ======

I would be more concerned with the 10 year old aspect of the radiator. The leak IS repairable. However, given the age of the part, the likelyhood is high that there's enough contamination and deterioration of the inside to warrant replacement of the unit....instead of enacting a repair of the original equipment part. You should be aware that not only the engine's cooling, but also a transmission cooler...(if you have an automatic tranny) is integrated into the radiator. The trans cooler is likely contaminated after 10 years of service. (Let's not even carry this thread to a debate over how often you've serviced the eng. coolant and tranny)

so......

my suggestion........

Replace...don't repair.

As far as supplier, imo....when it comes to a radiator the supplier isn't my first concern. It's the warranty. I've found the discount places like the ole AutoZonedOut store to be fine on radiators. Again, jest price shop and be more concerned with the length of warranty.

hopefully helpfull

~:~ MarshMonster

Reply to
Marsh Monster

THANKS,, I'LL REPLACE.. LOOK FOR WARRANTY OVER PRICE, ALSO READ WHERE IT IS RECOMMENDED TO BUY EXTERNAL TRANNY COOLER AND PLACE IT ON FRONT.. THIS BURB HAS A BRAND NEW TRANNY LESS THAN A YEAR OLD, WANT TO PROTECT IT.. THANKS AGAIN GUYS.... PHILLIP

Reply to
philc37388