Sorry It's got to go...maybe

Hi All I'm afraid my beloved Disco has to go, I cannot keep up with the cost of it's many failings. Thousands of dollars spent and still things keep failing. The latest is a top radiator hose, the bleader valve was leaking and cannot be repaired, replacement cost $150.00 AU. Before that the radiator tank separated from the tubes, cost over $1000.00 AU, no corrosion, nothing but a small crack... and before that......and before that.....the list could go on. As much as I love this vehicle when all is well, I cannot afford to keep it going.

It's a 99 Ser 11 4.0L V8 auto with only 102,000 Kilometers and has been very well maintained.

But what do I replace it with that gives the the same level of comfort and driveability.

Oh well, maybe another one will serve me better, do I give another one a go or just scrap the idea and go for a Jap 4x4?

Cappy

Reply to
Caploc

On or around Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:27:47 GMT, Caploc enlightened us thusly:

I'd have gotten someone to repair it, or repaired it meself, depending on the type of radiator.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 16 Apr 2005 01:27:47 GMT, Caploc enlightened us thusly:

hunt a good late disco I (they go up to about 98); there's less to go wrong on it...

'tis a fact that you have an early series II disco, there, and a later one might be better, but it'd cost more to buy.

quite honestly, I don't see me going to a disco II any time in the near future.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles composed the following;:

If we ever go 'up' to a later Disco we'll go straight from this '97 300Tdi to a Disco 3 I think. But that ain't nowhere in sight yet ....

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I should hope its gold plated at that price!. I got my 101 radiator rebuilt with new cores (which were higher spec ones which took them at least 30mins of measuring and ringing round to even find) and it still only cost arout £100. I can't see a standard vehicle radiator being that bad!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hi Austin The tanks are plastic and the core was alloy. There was a repair available using some type of appoxy but according to the repair people it would not have been practible for a 4WD that spent time deep in the mountains. In the end I opted for a new Copper / Bronze core with the original plastic tanks. At least these can be repaired.

Cappy

Reply to
Caploc

On or around Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:13:42 GMT, Caploc enlightened us thusly:

useful info. Personally, I mistrust these plastic tanks - the old-fashioned brass/copper radiator with brass tanks may be more expensive to make, but I've seen fewer fail, and there's always the option of soldering it up if it does.

Reply to
Austin Shackles