97 Sonoma Transfer Case Noise?

Hoping someone here can help me out. About a mile into my drive home Friday I noticed a "rattling" noise. First thought it was exhaust related but when I got underneath Saturday the only loose part I found was a skid plate. Tightened that up thinking all was good. No luck. Today the noise continued. It's not engine related, nor is anything rubbing, dragging, etc. While nursing it home today I was trying different driving tricks to pin-point the noise. It starts above 25-30 mph, and stops when speed drops below 25-30. When I shifted (manual shift transfer case) into 4-HI, the noise went away. I went back to 2-HI; no noise for about a mile or two, then it returned. Go back to 4-HI, no noise. Back to 2-HI, there it is again.

I plan to check the fluid level and shift linkage tomorrow, as it seems a little tough going into 4-HI now. Any other suggestions for things to check, common problem, etc.? Also, my vacuum actuator is dead, so the front right never engages. Given this, is it safe to drive in 4-HI (to prevent whatever is causing noise) at highway speeds (~30 miles of 70 mph interstate) without risking tire/gear bind?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
CER