98 6.5L Diesel wont start

I have a 98 6.5L TD 1/2 ton that wont start. The other day and it ran fine just as it always has. When I went to start it the next morning it would not start not even spit and sputter. The glow plug indicator is coming on but even if they werent after enough cranking it should have still tried to start. All that i get is white smoke coming out the tail pipe. I am not getting any trouble codes no fuses are burnt. It has to be getting fuel because the white smoke sure smells like it. I know that white smoke usually indicates unburt diesel. if engine ran so good the day before I dont see how I could have so much compression that the engine will not even spit and sputter. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
JaysonMurray

Greetings,

This is what is known as a "catastrophic" no-start condition (complete and sudden) as compared to one that gradually gets worse. The very first thing to do is drain your fuel-water seperator and change the filter. A sudden no-start condition without explanation is generally a fuel related issue, but not always a lack of fuel. If you picked up a bad batch with a lot of water in it, that could give you your no-start and white smoke. Partially burned diesel will give you black smoke, white is usually an indicator of water or coolant.

No trouble codes is unusual for this issue. A failing fuel injection pump or FSD will set a code 1216 but you don't even have that. However, if you are sure nothing is stored in the ECM then the next thing to do after a fuel filter is to disconnect your batteries and clear the ECM completely.

I'm trying to think of all of the mechanical issues that would give you a catastrophic no-start condition, but everything I know of is a gradual onset with plenty of warning signs. The only other thing I could think of is the lift pump. The lift pump is located under the driver's door mounted to the inside of the frame rail. It looks like the in-line fuel filters on GM's gas powered trucks but has a wiring harness sticking out of it (it's about the size of a soup can). Lie under the truck and have someone turn the key to the Run positions without starting the truck. The lift pump should hum indicating that it is working as long as the glow plugs are cycling and will shut off as soon as it realizes you're not going to start the truck. A bad lift pump will not stop all fuel from getting to the fuel injection pump, but will reduce the flow greatly so the FI pump is literally starved and cannot inject enough fuel into each cylinder to turn the motor over. Check and clean the harness connections and pump ground.

Good luck - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Your FSD went bad mine did and it shoved no codes . Go to ssdieselsupply.com and get the heat sinc they offer for the6.5l . Its very easy to install and works much better than the original location. I work as mech. and did it to three wehicles in our fleet including my personal truck.

Reply to
dude1