'98 Jimmy 4x4 Question

'98 Jimmy, 4.3, 61K miles, auto trans. Tonite when shifting into

4-hi, the truck sort of "slid into gear" when I stepped on the gas. After that, the truck didn't want to shift out of 1st. Same with 4-lo. The truck moves in and out of all modes with no problems, and there's no service lights lit, no blinking switch lights, etc. 2-hi works perfectly.

Any ideas?

Thanks Mike

Reply to
chevydriver37

Yes actually. You have a 4L60E tranny which is computer controlled and shifts based on ground speed and power setting. When you go into low range the ECM is not getting the message that it is in low range via a sensor/switch so that it can recalibrate shift points relative to ground speed. The "wonders" of electronically control trannies. It would shift eventaull when you got to the ground speed it was normally expecting in HI.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:37:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: >'98 Jimmy, 4.3, 61K miles, auto trans. Tonite when shifting into >4-hi, the truck sort of "slid into gear" when I stepped on the gas. >After that, the truck didn't want to shift out of 1st. Same with >4-lo. The truck moves in and out of all modes with no problems, and >there's no service lights lit, no blinking switch lights, etc.

2-hi >works perfectly. >

Thanks Snowman. I'll take it in for service... I just wanted a starting point in my own mind, so that I could at least be on the same page as the technician. Guess I'll be driving my old chevy for a bit...

Reply to
chevydriver37