99 gmc 4x4 1500 suburan transfer case fliud????

Ok went to change the fliud in this thing so i go to the gmc dealership and ask for transfer case fluid for my truck. They give me atf dextron 3/mercron fluid.When I go to change it what comes out is a blueish green and what the gmc place gave me is red (Not the same thing)so are these 2 compatable are should I go get the bluish green stuff???

Reply to
Darrell Royal

George

"George" wrote

Actually, auto transmission fluid is acceptable fluid for many transfer cases. The autotrak is specifically for the t/cases that happen use a clutch pack to actuate the front drive shaft. A regular old manual shift t/case still uses auto trans fluid for lube.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I read somewhere that while regular ATF will work, some of the newer models were having a problem with the clutches slipping and then gripping, causing a 'clunk'. The reommended fix was switching to the new lubricant.

Reply to
Rich B