Is the transfer case fluid completely separate from transmission fluid on 91 Chevy K1500? Also, what is the size of the filler & drain plug on the transfer case

Hi everyone,

Is the transfer case fluid completely separate from the Automatic Transmission fluid on a 91 Chevy K1500 ? This is the transmission with

16 bolts on the transmission oil pan (I think the 4L60 model).

I have a small leak at the rear seal on the output shaft of the transfer case (where rear drive shaft meets the transfer case) but I'm also due for an automatic transmission fluid change. I want to change the automatic transmission fluid first and then replace the transfer case seal later when I have more time. It's not a real bad seal leak, there's nothing in the driveway, a couple of good size drops of transfer case fluid (ATF fluid) is always hanging at the bottom of the seal and/or housing. If the fluids are completely separate, then it will be no problem to change the ATF fluid first.

Also, does anyone know what size wrench that the filler and drain plugs take on the transfer case ? I wanted to check the transfer case fluid level, but don't have a wrench that is quite big enough. It measures 30 mm across the flats with dial calipers but I don't know if its metric or inch. If not metric, then it must be a 1-3/16". I put on an adjustable wrench, but it felt like it was going to deform the flats, so I need to get a wrench to fit.

Thanks for your help. John

Reply to
John2005

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

1) yes

2)

30 mm

or...at least that's my experience.... take it fer whut it's wert.

~:~ MarshMonster ~tranny tech...and purveyor of fine liquors and homegrown pot~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Thanks MarshMonster. John

Reply to
John2005

======= ======= yw John

~:~ MarshMonster

Reply to
Marsh Monster
30 mm is 30 mm. old john

??>>> ====== ??>>> ====== ??>>> On Apr 21, 1:29?pm, John2005 wrote: ??>>

[...]

??>>> ========= ??>>> ========= ??>>

??>> Thanks MarshMonster. ??>> John ??>>

??>>> 1) ??>>> yes ??>>

??>>> 2) ??>>> 30 mm ??>>

??>>> or...at least that's my experience.... ??>>> take it fer whut it's wert. ??>>

??>>> ~:~ ??>>> MarshMonster ??>>> ~tranny tech...and purveyor of fine liquors and ??>>> homegrown pot~ ??>>> ~:~- Hide quoted text - ??>>

MM> ======= MM> ======= MM> yw John

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

===== ===== snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote to the OP: ?30 mm is 30 mm. old john

Hello, Marsh!

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. ?E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net ======= =======

hiya ....jeep......

~:~ marsh ~pours a hit of shroom juice...in jeeps coffee~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster