99 Silverado Rear Brake Rusted & Parking

I went in today to get rear parking brakes fixed... (at the dealership) surprise not a recall item because I have a automatic transmission, not manual. Exact same parking brakes, but since no one has died yet from the parking brake failure on a automatic transmission its not covered! Anyway the almost $300 repair job worked fine, I have better parking brakes than new. Why do I care? I park on hills a lot and just somehow can't bring myself to trust the parking pawl in the transmission.

So since the brakes are working so good, I thought I'd jack up the rear tire to make sure they did not have them sooo tight they were dragging. They were ok, but I did notice a BIG hole (maybe 1 x 2 inches) rusted in both rear brake backing plates... I could look in and see something that looked like brake parts!!

I realize this is a 6 year old truck, but I've never seen so much rust on everything underneath, brake, fuel lines and these brakes. So should I just get some galvanized or stainless sheet metal and patch up the hole, complain (to who?) or trade off the truck?

Reply to
MachineShop

Same on my 2000 Silverado. I was going to change them when I replaced the rear pads but you need to pull the rear axels to do it.

Al

Reply to
ajtessier

Were do you live because they were fixing it for free in some rust belt areas on the Silverado style trucks.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

was it a hole rusted or just the edges of the little hole used to loosen the adjuster?

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Every real drum brake I've seen had that hole at the bottom, no trial and error needed.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
MachineShop

Reply to
MachineShop

Yes, what I'm saying is there is still a hole in the bottom, mine has one ( '04 ) for the adjuster. Also please post correctly in the thread, your making it difficult for others to follow.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
MachineShop

They didn't switch back to drum brakes until 05, mine still has the rear discs. I haven't needed to adjust mine yet but see the oval hole at the bottom like traditional drum brakes.

Just because you have always posted the wrong way doesn't mean you should continue. Your or my preference doesn't matter unless we wish to re-write the usenet standard, I switched to posting properly years ago when I learned there was a standard.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

So is yours rusted...? I'm looking for a solution. Thank you for your input.

Reply to
MachineShop

Not yet, but mine is newer so we shall see in a couple years. What I mean is there is a hole there already so yours is probably not rusted through.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

Reply to
MachineShop

Reply to
MachineShop

Follow Up: Just got off the phone with the service manager of the dealership, they will allow me labor credit for not calling me when the whole thing was apart and given me the option of replacing the back plates then. So since there is not a recall I get to pay another $300 plus to R&R backplates... I will need to go to GM for any claims for labor and materials.

Thanks Eugene and others for taking the time to reply.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
MachineShop

Been watching this thread and was surprised by the '99 having disc on the rear. My '99 Suburban has drum on the rear, no problems with the backing plates and ONLY the adjuster slot!

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin I did ask the service mgr. what keeps the new backing plate from rusting out and he did not know, he assumes they have been improved. In any event I will be painting or otherwise rust proofing, Since you have a real drum brake I do not think you have a problem. I've never had this happen on any car or truck I've owned and I have had some real old junk stuff at times. I have had to replace brake lines that were rusted, and body panels (duh). Rust in the northern states is a given, but not after just 6 years.

Reply to
MachineShop

I live in New Hampshire, is there a TSB or recall?

Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

RFC1855 is the guideline which says to not top post. Yes all rfc's are just guidelines but when you don't follow those guidelines communication breaks down. Just try to follow an old thread which has been top posted and you will see. Thats why when I got on the internet years ago I looked up the standard to see what it was.

Reply to
Eugene Nine