99 Silverado squealing fan belt

Why would the fan belt on a 99 Silverado 4.3L squeal only when damp outside? The belt appears to be in good condition. I heard the belt tensioner goes bad early on this year engine. Anyone? TIA Barry

Reply to
Barry Weber

"Barry Weber" wrote

Yep, I would start with a new tensioner.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I would start with a new belt first then tensioner all so get some belt lube on the new belt so it will last and not were out as quick as the old one did

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

Well, your info was looking good until you mentioned putting belt lube on a "serpentine" belt. Never has been, never will be a good idea.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Not disputing, but care to share why?

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

"Adair Winter" wrote

It doesn't work? About the only thing that works for serpentine belts other then replacing them and the tensioner.....is to spray them with something like brake cleen, something that will "remove" any oil or liquid on the belt.....and clean all the pulleys that the belt runs in.....getting any and all oil/liquid that might be built up in the grooves....and then you might even have to run a wire brush up against the belt (into the grooved side) in order to rough up the belt a bit.

As soon as something like belt dressing is sprayed on serp belt....you might just as well forget about it not squealing. It may be quiet for a few minutes...even a few hours, but it never fixes the problem.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai