Advice re: Buying 1990-1993 Jimmy/Blazer

Hello everyone,

I am considering purchasing an early Jimmy/Blazer, and am hoping to get some advice on what to look for, and what to avoid.

I have been searching for the 200 HP 4.3 (I definitely want a 6 cyl 4x4), but I don't really know how to identify the motor (perhaps because I haven't seen one yet). What identifying features should I look for?

I've heard about the body mounts rusting out on the Jimmys/Blazers, and have actually seen a couple that were pretty horrendous.

Any other suggestions? Are there notorious problems that I should be aware of?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The 4.3L motor equipped vehicles come with badges on both the front and back stating that there is a 4.3 in it. Unless this factory badging has been removed (mine says Tahoe and 4.3) that is a quick way to tell at a glance without even looking at the motor. Obviously the motor could be swapped, but nobody in their right mind swaps a 4.3 for anything smaller. I've never heard of a single instance of a person swapping out a 4.3 and putting something smaller in, though puting a 305 or 350 small block in place of the

4.3 is a common swap.

Big Chris

Chris wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

To identify the 195 HP 4.3 from the 165 HP version, look at the engine. If it looks like it has a carb with wires running to it, it's the 165 HP version. The air flows DOWN from the intake into the motor (throttle plates are horizontal at idle). The 195 HP version has what looks like a big "spider" on top, it's cast aluminum I believe, and the air travels BACK from the intake tube into the engine (throttle plate is vertical at idle). Oh yeah, the 195 HP engine was only in late 1992 and 1993-1995 model blazers and Jimmy's, look for a W in the

8th V>The 4.3L motor equipped vehicles come with badges on both the front and back
Reply to
Mike Levy